PDA

View Full Version : Ppl Groundschool

jamierwilliams
24th Mar 2003, 21:07
Hi,

I am just anout to start my PPL training but need some advice regarding groundschool. My questions are as follows:

1) Is it better to integrate flying lessons and groundschool or do grounschool previously and then commence training?

2) What are the best PPL groundschool training books?

3) Is it worth investing in a pair of good-quality headsets (e.g. DC's 10-13XL or the Bose X)?

4) Can anybody recommend any groundschool training organisations in the UK?

Thanks,
J@mie

HelenD
24th Mar 2003, 21:27
1) It depends how you plan to do your flying training: If you propose to do all your flying in the space of 4 weeks or so then it is best to have got your ground exams out of the way

2) There are 2 sets of books to choose from they are the Pratt ones and the Thom ones. Go for whichever set you fine more digestable or take reccomendation from your flying school

3) Its up to you when you get your own headset if you do. I would reccommend you only get one when you think flying is for you as for which make to get its a personal choice but if you can try before you buy I suggest you do.

4) As for ground school training organisations - there arnt really any for PPL just use whatever your flying school has on offer and what suits you best. Some schools do group groundschool others offer one to one. You may even prefer to teach yourself.

Good luck whatever you decide.

tacpot
24th Mar 2003, 21:30
1. I think it is better to integrate the Groundschool with the Flying Training. I think it makes more sense when you can apply the groundschool straight away.

2. Best books are a matter of opinion. To my mind Treveor Thom's cover more ground but in a slightly less clear manner than Jeremy Pratt's.

3. It is worth buying your own, good quality headset, but only once you are sure you want to learn to fly. Best to have had at least four lessons before splashing out on a headet. It's not necessary to have the very best Dave Clarks or Bose - buy on performance, not on name.

4. Dunno.

Andy_R
25th Mar 2003, 06:47
1. Depends on your aptitude for theoretical learning, but integrated with your flying or a crammer course halfway through is my preferred option.

2. Trevor Thom I found to be more comprehensive, but I guess it also depends on whether you want to go further than PPL.

3. I'd go with everyone else here and say wait until you are into your training to ensure you really enjoy your flying.

4. If you want to drop me a PM I can give you some details of ground school training organisations. You will need to enable your private messaging facility or leave me your e-mail address.
(Hit the Private Msg button between Profile and WWW buttons above and go from there).

Evo
25th Mar 2003, 06:56
1. Agree with both HelenD and tacpot - do them in advance if you're doing an intensive course, otherwise mix them in with the flying. All I'd add is the fairly obvious point that if you're doing them while you fly then don't get behind with the exams - I know several people who have had parts of their training held up because they hadn't got the exams done (my club required Air Law before first solo and Nav and Met before the Navexs). The most extreme example was one bloke who had 5 exams to do in the 3 days before his skills test :eek:

2 & 3 - agree again. Searching for 'Thom', 'Pratt' and 'headset' in this forum will find many views :)

As for 4., there are adverts in Pilot and Flyer, but do you really need groundschool? The PPL exams aren't hard, and if your instructor isn't prepared to help you with the bits you find difficult then you are at the wrong school! Read the books, buy a copy of the PPL Confuser (it's in the Transair catalogue) and work through the questions in that. You'll pass the exams no problem :)

(edit: I don't disagree with cloud69 either, but that post wasn't there when I started typing :) )

Saab Dastard
25th Mar 2003, 08:18
Agree with Evo about groundschool - it's all in the books - except for R/T. I did an R/T course which really was worthwhile, both for passing the R/T exam and practical test and for really improving my R/T in the air.

If you want the confuser I have a pristine copy - send me a private mail if you are interested.

Cheers

SD

FlyingForFun
25th Mar 2003, 08:32
Agree with all of what's been said, especially Helen's post, and the later comments about not really needing ground-school - most people should be capable of passing the PPL exams through home-study.

Regarding the Confuser - I agree that it's an excellent resource to check that you're ready to take an exam. But don't try to get away with learning from it - learn from Thom or Pratt, then do the Confuser test, then do the exam.

As for the choice between Thom and Pratt, the best thing to do is use whatever your instructor recommends. That way, if you have questions, he'll be in a good position to help you out. (Yes, you can ask your flying instructor questions about the groundschool without having to enroll on a formal groundschool course!)

Good luck, and enjoy it!

FFF
--------------

SKYYACHT
28th Mar 2003, 12:49
Jamie,

I am able to give you some very useful information on PPL Groundschool tuition. Drop me an email and I will let you know.

Blue skies

Evil J
29th Mar 2003, 09:34
I would recommend a "crammer" course; specifically the one run by CATS (see back pages of FLYER or similiar). the bloke who runs it will see you right and get you through, not just token passes but so you know what you need to know so that you will be a safe aviator and not a liability to yourself and your passengers.

BEagle
29th Mar 2003, 16:12
A 'Complete Training Solution for the JAA PPL & UK NPPL' is currently being advertised by the glossy brochure folk as being available in July 2003. Consists of 6 CD ROMs, with 50 hrs of self-taught instruction - including RT.

Pricey though - currently advertised at £299.95..............

But it does come in a 'quality embossed blue leatherette display case'!

Evo
29th Mar 2003, 16:16
But it does come in a 'quality embossed blue leatherette display case'!

Is that like the 'quality brown leatherette' of my PPL... ;) :)