PDA

View Full Version : BA Birmingham > Newcastle 19th March

jetstream7
24th Mar 2003, 15:15
Not seen this reported, but came across it so I thought I'd post.

The following can be found in www.travelmole.com

(http://www.travelmole.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=97419)

BA jet forced down after engine fire

UK: Passengers forced to breathe using damp towels over their faces

Smoke filled the cabin of a British Airways jet and passengers were forced to breathe using damp towels after one of its engines caught fire on take-off.

The drama unfolded on a flight from Birmingham to Newcastle on Wednesday and the airline has already launched an investigation. The pilot closed down one engine and diverted the flight to Manchester; the 29 passengers were then taken to their destinations by taxi.

One passenger reportedly told the Daily Express: “There was a thump outside the plane and there were huge amounts of sparks coming out of the right-hand engine, like firework fountains. Flames began shooting around the back of the engine and smoke was coming through the ceiling. I felt numb with fright.”

A BA spokesman said: “The pilot had a fire warning light in the cockpit so he set the engine down as a precaution. These aircraft are designed to fly safely with one engine.”

Red Snake
24th Mar 2003, 15:39
The only jet on that route is the ERJ 145. Not sure where the pax were sitting to see "huge amounts of sparks coming out of the right-hand engine, like firework fountains. Flames began shooting around the back of the engine".

The last row of the 145 is still well forward of the engines.

Anyone have any facts?

Happy Landings
24th Mar 2003, 15:43
This is a new story to me but I thought you were supposed to use the oxygen masks if you couldn't breathe during a flight, also where did the passengers get all the damp towels from? They must be some new survival equipment I haven't heard of!! I will have a look under my seat on my next flight to see if there are any damp towels stowed away with my life jacket!

:D

P.S. I think the aircraft on this route is the Avro RJ100 jet with engines mounted under the wings in full view of the pax

CandyBender
24th Mar 2003, 17:16
Just checked & it would appear to be operated by Titan at the mo'......flights are certainly listed as being on an ATR42......

BHX NCL 0830 0930 @BA7616 Y9 B9 HC KC M0 LC VC NC O9 Q9#AT4
BHX NCL 1130 1230 @BA7718 Y9 B9 HC KC M0 LC VC NC O9 Q9#AT4
BHX NCL 1600 1700 @BA7618 Y9 B9 HC KC M0 LC VC NC O9 Q9#AT4
BHX NCL 1900 2000 @BA7620 Y9 B9 HC KC M0 LC VC NC O9 Q9#AT4

Info from a handy site that gives access to the Galilleo CRS.....

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/travel/galileo/frame.html

PS Happy Landings.....breathing O2 either from the a/c therapetic system or on board O2 bottles would do you no good as the masks used are there for decompression/medical situations only, as you are also breathing the ambient air. Normal procedure for cabin crew to instruct pax to breathe through a cloth/towel, preferably damp, & to stay under the level of the smoke/fumes.

In trim
24th Mar 2003, 17:49
ATR42 does not have drop-down oxygen, so I guess a damp towel is as good as it gets!!

Load Toad
28th Mar 2003, 15:32
As a concerned pax (albeit one who would know the difference between a propeller and a jet) can someone advise if a pre-moistened towelette in a foil package can ward off noxious fumes - if say I was sitting in cattle class with no access to the damp towels?

fudpucker
28th Mar 2003, 17:59
It was a Titan ATR42, the crew[flight deck and cabin] handled it well and Load Toad, a towlette would be better than nothing. Anything to keep 'noxious fumes' out is better than nothing.

FlyboyUK
28th Mar 2003, 19:51
The J41's stopped operating the route several weeks ago. Titan were charted in to cover the last couple of weeks of the BACX operation.

cwatters
28th Mar 2003, 22:41
<snip> can someone advise if a pre-moistened towelette in a foil
> package can ward off noxious fumes - if say I was sitting in
> cattle class with no access to the damp towels?

From the way that stuff evaporates quickly I suspect it has certain alcoholic content. Perhaps you could chew on a bunch of them and let your cares drift away..