PDA

View Full Version : WARNING - anonymity

awacs
1st Aug 2001, 01:42
Anonymity on PPRUNE should not be taken for granted the system seems to know who I am before I have logged onto the forums even when using a different ISP.

Be careful out there.

[ 31 July 2001: Message edited by: awacs ]

The Guvnor
1st Aug 2001, 02:14
Ah, but awacs did you log in from the same computer? If so, it's no surprise as UBB drops a cookie into it.

Of course, just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't really after you! :D :D :D

awacs
1st Aug 2001, 02:24
Ah! but yes I did. But that's not the point.

BoarderDude
1st Aug 2001, 04:25
What is the point , then ??

RAFAT
1st Aug 2001, 04:33
Then there's all those lights, I know they're out there, just waiting for me to go to sleep, they know you know!!

mutt
1st Aug 2001, 07:15
AWACS,

Remove all your internet cookies, disable them and try the exercise again. PPrune wont have a clue who you are.

But you will lose little functions such as "new messages since last logon" and "preferences".

Crashdive or Pprune Dispatcher wrote a very interesting message about anonymity about a month ago, I forget the topic title but you should be able to search for it in this forum.

Mutt :)

criticalmass
1st Aug 2001, 11:40
"The trouble with anonymity is no-one knows who you are!"

Notso Fantastic
1st Aug 2001, 11:59
and how do you really know your fridge light goes out when you close the door? Get up in the middle of the night and open it quickly- I bet you find it's still on!