PDA

View Full Version : what do you do if someone does get in the pointy end?

buzzc152
21st Mar 2003, 15:10
Reading another post on this topic made me think.......... what would you do if someone does manage to force their way in to the cockpit ?? What's the company line and what personally would you do ??

Miserlou
21st Mar 2003, 15:53
There was another recent thread with regard to same. The point was a letter encouraging pilots to consider this and look around at what you could use as a weapon and how you could use it.

At the point where some-one 'forces' their way into the cockpit, you do not try to remember what the company says you should do.

Events have now shown what happens if you follow the 'old' company line.

Nowadays, you've got to fight and be prepared to go all the way!

ETOPS
21st Mar 2003, 15:55
Guys. Please don't reply to this post.

The less info about sensitive subjects like this in the public domain, the better.

buzzc152

Might you consider deleting this post out of consideration for the threat we all work under?

PS That is unless you are a terrorist trying to find out our plans............

Jet II
21st Mar 2003, 16:12
I seem to remember that the last lunatic who did this received a rather nasty thwack over the head with a fire axe from the FO
:D

willbav8r
22nd Mar 2003, 00:24
Unfortunately that lunatic managed to end the flying careers, and very nearly killed both the Captain and F/O (if you are referring to the Fedex case).

But, maybe we should let this thread rest with the rebuttal that there won't be any more unanounced visits up front.

Doors. Security etc.

I'd be more worried about load factors, furlough and bankruptcies.....

Jet II
22nd Mar 2003, 13:07
I was actually refering to the Attempted Hijack (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2591&highlight=flight+deck+door) of the UAL flight from Miami to Buenos Aires

Maxrev
24th Mar 2003, 17:21
I don't think there's any great secret about what we'd do, other than do anything to prevent the very worst.

I read the posting urging crew to chop intruder's heads off with the fire axe and in principle I agree that the rules have changed.

The old rule of 'co-operate' and 'take them where they want to go' don't apply any more but one must temper that by not inciting the pilots to butcher anyone that blunders in. That person may be drunk, under the influence of drugs or just plain mad and may be easily restrained without resorting to gouging their eyes out with a stolen hotel biro.

If push really came to shove, I'd opt to go for a forced landing or a ditching to stop the aircraft being used as a weapon, in the hope that a throttle idle, speedbrakes out max angle descent would keep the murderous b******s out for a bit longer.

TR4A
24th Mar 2003, 20:32
Over here the pax will join in and take care of it. They are not going to sit and watch it happen.

BN2A
25th Mar 2003, 10:43
...in the hope that a throttle idle, speedbrakes out max angle descent would keep the murderous b******s out for a bit longer.

Is that not a standard descent that the cabin crew still work comfortably in???:ooh:

As for what to do - There's the pointy end of the crash axe, or the contents of the fire extinguisher...:ouch:

Plus, you know the 'zero G' trick you can do in a light aircraft..
Ever felt like trying that in a big jet??
:E

tom775257
28th Mar 2003, 22:27
How quickly can you depressurise an aircraft at altitude if you turn off the packs and open the outflow valve fully? As pilots with forced air breathing gear, wouldn’t anyone else without forced air (even with an oxygen mask) pass out fairly quickly after depressurisation so long as you maintain altitude, possibly buying you some time?
I guess it could kill some people in the aircraft, however I assume that is preferable to the aircraft being used as a weapon.

Tinstaafl
29th Mar 2003, 04:50
There's still a possibility that the cockpit antagonist could take your O2 mask from you after depressurising.

That would leave you anoxic & unconscious and the villain quite OK.

Perhaps some severe manoeuvering might help? Don't know but I'd be inclined to use any & every means at my disposal to neutralise the invader, even if it kills them.

Notso Fantastic
30th Mar 2003, 04:25
Please stop responding to this thread!

Filtonman
30th Mar 2003, 18:39
Speak to people across the flight deck and you will find out how imaginative people have become.

My personal favourite at the moment a shot of jif lemon in the eye (it is worse than Phophate Ester based hydraulic fluid).

I have seen both and they would not be up off the floor for at least five mins.

Keep the door locked though to give you time

BigGreenPleasureMachine
2nd Apr 2003, 18:57
Not exactly on topic here, but has any carrier considered the 'airlock' type doors that are common on security vans for the flightdeck door.

Then the crew could monitor who's coming up (by cctv or a window), allowing little Jimmy to visit the cockpit, but creating a ready made prison for any evil doer who tries to gain access.

Whaddaya think, should I take out a patent?