PDA

View Full Version : Dinard - oui ou non?

Fly Stimulator
21st Mar 2003, 09:53
Dinard hasn't had an entirely favourable press here, with some suggestions that it's not very GA-friendly, though a recent posting suggested that it had improved.

I'm planning to go to La Baule this weekend and thought that it would make a change to go into Dinard rather than Cherbourg for customs.

Any recent experiences of Dinard?

Many thanks,
FS.

Thrifty van Rental
21st Mar 2003, 10:01
Dinard's fine. They make you park a bit of a walk from the terminal, and the firemen collect your landing fee. Flight plan filing via the dreaded MiniTel.

pulse1
21st Mar 2003, 10:01
I've always found it relaxed and friendly, at weekends and evenings anyway.

As for La Baule, an excellent place to go - I do envy you. Watch out for the large danger area on the direct route from Dinard to La Baule

Fly Stimulator
21st Mar 2003, 12:31
Thanks for the feedback - I think I'll give it a try then. I suppose I can always phone in my flight plan if I can't get to grips with the Minitel.

I'll route over Ploermel to stay out of danger. :cool:

FS

tomcs
21st Mar 2003, 21:27
Hi....err...went there on tuesday and after the initial confusion it seems like a good enough place. We actually went into the terminal and then had to go back out through customs in order to access the wonderful pompiers!! I personally thought that the flight plan via minitel was an excellent idea!! It was so simple and quick.

Tom

Thrifty van Rental
21st Mar 2003, 21:32
Worth knowing that LFRD is one of a number of French airfields now imposing "hightened security measures" on visiting aircraft/crews. In theory, you won't be allowed onto the apron without sight of your licence and passport.

Others imposing these measures include Bergerac and Bordeaux.

Make sure that your papiers are in order or you'll be in deepest doodoo!

KitKatPacificuk
21st Mar 2003, 23:36
Well worth going into Dinard and getting a taxi to St. Malo. Fantastic walled city, great food and night life. Stay overnight plenty of nice hotels.

welkyboy
22nd Mar 2003, 07:12
Dinard airfield is being revamped at the moment, they are resurfacing runways and installing new lights,so read your notams. Quite often it is closed to all traffic e.g totally closed from 0600 31/3 until 1800 4/4. At other times often the only runway in use is 12/30, VOR OOS DME OOS ILS OOS, listen out on 124.57 when inbound to get latest gen. The ATCO's there speak good English but are not too impressed with the British PPL's that do not check Notams before setting off. I was there on Thursday when an inbound UK light aircraft had to force land in a field as running low on fuel and flying in deteriorating weather and dusk also apparantly not having any up to date charts or any idea of whereabouts. luckily it was a Rallye and the force landing was successful and aircraft flew out the following day and positioned to Dinard.

A and C
22nd Mar 2003, 11:23
No problems at Dinard but I file the flight plan with London ti aviod doing battle with the minitel that some times wont work.

Fly Stimulator
23rd Mar 2003, 18:51
Just got back from a very pleasant weekend in La Baule.

Dinard was fine on Saturday - all runways in service and not busy at all. Paid the the landing fee to the pompiers and then had a quick paté baguette on the restaurant terrace before carrying on south.

The security check on leaving the terminal just consisted of the chap comparing the name on my licence with the one in my passport, so no great drama there.

On the way back today we stopped for a late lunch at Bernay, which turns out to be a lovely little grass strip with very friendly people and an excellent little restaurant just at the entrance. It was lovely - felt like a summer's day. Well worth a visit.

It was one of those weekends which makes you realise how fortunate we are to be able to do this. :O

Aussie Andy
24th Mar 2003, 08:58
You can also consider nearby Dinan - from memory only about 10NM to the south... but they are a small club and don't always have fuel, so you'd have to phone ahead on that score.

Andy

Flying Boat
5th Apr 2003, 07:47
Dinard is great, especially with a straight in on 17.

If you are en-route and will only be there for only 1.5 to 2 hours max, request stand Charlie, A, B or C are closer to the terminal than the Ryanair 737 gets!

Be wary of lunch times, can be a bit lonely.

FB

welkyboy
6th Apr 2003, 05:30
Latest Gen re Dinard....
Open tomorrow 6th April for light aircraft. Only runway 12/30 is open and you will have to park on grass by aero club NO fuel available.... from Monday 7/4 the airfield is closed to light aircraft until 20/4. Hopefully after that date all work on airfield will be completed and back to normal.
Check NOTAMs for latest.

lighttwin
21st Apr 2003, 01:42
Current notam indicates the ultra light motorised runway is still closed - presumably this is the grassstrip. Approach control seems to be operating very limited hours but otherwise all OK.Anyone know if there are still problems getting avgas?