PDA

View Full Version : PPL in USA/Spain or UK?

FoxtrotFlyer
18th May 2001, 01:30
I am quite keen on doing a ppl but am confused as to where to do it. I know it's cheaper in the USA but I've heard a lot of stories of cowboys running of with your money. What should I do? Can anyone recommend a good school in the US?

Cheers...

little red train
18th May 2001, 02:36
Golden rule.. Don't give them the money to run away with.

If they want a lump up front, run. Why do they want it? Are the so financially insecure. Don't take guaranteed passed schemes, how can they guarantee your not a fool? They get you in the door, and there is the incentive to not provide proper instruction. Don't go by big loud adverts in flyer and pilot, it cost a very small amount in comparison to what they can rip people of for.

Generally use common sense, keep your gaurd up, and keep the ball in your court, you can always leave it you want.

[This message has been edited by little red train (edited 17 May 2001).]

johntrav69
18th May 2001, 04:59
Do you want a PPL and to use it for fun and pleasure, or is cost the overiding factor here? If it is cost then the USA should be considered, if not then the training in the UK will far better prepare you for the type of airspace/radio and above all weather we have here. Bear in mind that someone doing a part time PPL in the UK can work at the same time and spend a leisurely 6 months doing it, or you can go and get a three week course in the states where your brain doesn't even get time to think "enjoy this". Just my opinion of course, and as I haven't been flying in the US it is difficult to judge some of the above, but I have seen people coming back from America with a PPL in their hands and looking shocked when I tell them that they need at least 5-6 hours before I will let them take one of the club planes out solo. Also consider this - some schools in America guarantee a pass in three weeks, so what happens if you aren't really up to scratch? I would consider my life worth more than a measly 2 grand.

gazelle507
18th May 2001, 15:32
Check out www.pilotassist.com, (http://www.pilotassist.com,) they helped me with all my training requirements and questions. the guys there are 1st class and really know their stuff.

englishal
21st May 2001, 01:48
Go to the US, you'll save a packet and have a great time. Don't believe people who tell you you need.... '5 to 6 hours before you can rent a plane in the UK'...I did my JAR PPL in California, came back, joined a club, and after a simple 1˝hr dual check I was let lose in a 172. If you learn somewhere like Long Beach, then you'd have no problem flying into Heathrow. US airspace is pretty much the same as UK airspace, just different letters ! (Class B is roughly equiv to class A, Class A is equiv to B, C=D etc etc..), its not a big problem, especially as you'll be doing the JAR exams. I recommend anyone who enjoys flying should take a flying trip to the USA and see how GA SHOULD BE. Less Bull, less cost (no landing / nav fees), cheap rental ($65 / hr 172), varied terrain (California - mountains, deserts), lots of airports....