PDA

View Full Version : help on technical interview

lucyfbowyer
21st Mar 2003, 09:41
hi ya
I'am looking for help. I have recently failed my technical interview and have been asked to come back to retake it as i was a 'near miss'. Has anyone got any hints on how to get through this interview? I know i dug myself a couple of holes in my last interview but i think i got out of them ok.
cheers
Lucy

tori chelli
21st Mar 2003, 12:01
Lucy

not having done a cadet interview for 20 years, I don't know what kind of stuff comes under the heading technical interview.

Can you give any pointers as to what they asked, and what the syllabus is? :eek:

Route Papa 45
21st Mar 2003, 12:10
A near miss even before you've been recruited, oh no! Seriously though, i was in exactly that position about 3 years back but scraped through at my second effort so best of luck at your next stab. As far as advice for your next comfortable chat, have you spoken to recruitment to ask why you failed?

Invariably it's because either someone has failed to prepare sufficiently (background knowledge of recent NATS history etc), the interviewer was unsure of your commitment to a career in NATS (thus by turning up to the next inerview prepared you might alleviate that belief), or as was my case, you didn't have a clear plan of action when presented with some scenario type Q's.

My suggestion is that when you are given a situation such as 2 aircraft head-on, same level and are asked for your reaction, give only 1. I procrastinated and said i could climb 1 and descend the other, or maybe turn 1 or both aircraft and it came across as indecisive. They were looking for a quick but considered reaction and will often try and make you change your mind to see if you can stick to your guns. If you are then presented with information that makes your original decision less valid then have in mind a suitable alternative, just don't get over eager and give every resolution to the situation you can think of asap!

My other piece of advice is to read through as many threads on this site as you can. Over the last few years, the resources available to newbies has got much better thanks to some kindly folk posting info on a regular basis on this site. You will find loads of info and opinion from people in your shoes or those who have recently gone through selection testing.

Best of luck with your second interview and enjoy Bournemouth when you get there :ok:

RP 45

weselfluren
21st Mar 2003, 13:52
I am another so called "near miss" candidate, who also has come unstuck at the Technical stage of the process. I have been told that it was due to "unsatisfactory preparation", which I think was down to my poor Aircraft recognition skills on the day, although I could say where each plane would be likely to fly to, how high and at what speed etc. - had the usual 747 to NY question.
Apart from this, I thought I was decisive, quick thinking, flexible enough to change my mind and thus make the correct decision, whilst not being co-erced into making that choice.
I have been advised to "re-read the information pack" (no aircraft recognition in there) for my 2nd chance in 3 months time.:rolleyes:

Now I'm not entirely sure, as when I called HR the person I spoke to didn't give a lot away, but somehow being called back for a 2nd Technical Interview seems a little fishy to me - HR reportedly moving to Southampton, and the July 03 course being cancelled (moving all the other courses "up one"). It seems like NATS is keeping us on the backburner for when spaces become available once more...........

Is it usual to apply one year, have an interview the next and then actually start training the following year again - a 3 year process? Can't say I am very impressed, and have been unable to get any answers beyond "rumours" from face to face discussions during the 2nd interviews or on the phone to HR.

Can anyone clarify what's actually going on with the courses?:confused: If we are selected in the Summer (May/June/July/August??), when can we start to think about starting at the College? Some of applicants do have lives outside of the process, and all the strains that come from current jobs, mortgages/rent, relationships etc.:O

Still, another chance no matter what the reason - will make sure that there is no reason for HR not to allocate me a place on the next available Bournemouth Course, unless I decide to apply to Eurocontrol instead....

lucyfbowyer
21st Mar 2003, 15:20
It looks like they've told me exactly the same as they've told you. Something about a lack of preperation. But unlike you i had none of the stuff about the different air craft and stuff to New York. mine was about flight progress strips, QNH, Flight levels etc and it was that type of stuff that got way more technical than any of the information that they sent me.

I've had one person advise me, to act dumb, and that they don't want a qualified ATC or plane spotter, and therefore will just run over everything briefly, and another person tell me to tell them everything i know about what they ask

I thought i did all right on the scenarios, it was when they started going really indepth about things.

I'm confused?

Anway, if anyone else has any info on how to act in your tecnical interview. please let me know
cheer
lucy

eastern wiseguy
21st Mar 2003, 19:15
Lucy et al ....just a shot in the dark as it is an awfully long time ago that I sat on the wrong side of a board...have you been visiting your local airport/centre and watched what the people there do? A few well placed questions regarding flight progress strips and pressure settings might just give you the information you need.

I don't think I would like you to act dumb..I would like to see you being able to work a problem through and modify it if it needs adjusting...thats what I do on a daily basis with real traffic.
Most units are well equipped to deal with potential students and in fact may have one or two recently qualified (or still at the college)types who will be able to relate to your problems and may have even had the same problems as your self.I know on my unit we have two or three people who actually DO the interviewing so they would be able to help...keep trying!and good luck .

information_alpha
24th Mar 2003, 09:33
i did my interview about 5 years ago now. I think that they are still along the same lines.

I got asked all of the things that have been mentioned. I also got asked about low pressure and the way the air moves round it - anticlockwise (think antelope - antilow, low pressure, anticlockwise, learnt that at college!)

However with regard to being not prepared enough. The book they give you has quite a lot of information but there is also a reading list. These books are ancient but it is still possible to get copies. The people that have come for visits to our unit in the last few years all seem to be able to get hold of a few and i think that it is expected.

It is a really good idea as it shows motivation and also gives you much more in depth information. Read them before your unit visit, then anything you do not understand you can ask the controllers to explain to you if they have time. (or even may be post questions here)

Good luck guys!

Go-arounder
24th Mar 2003, 18:37
I would go along with eastern wise guy – visit a unit, see all the things in the information booklet work for real. Goes down well in the enthusiasm column to visit a few ATC units where possible.

It need not always be a NATS unit, if you’re close to Newcastle we have a program for visits and give out info packs on the types of questions to expect.
If you're close send me an-email
:)

eyeinthesky
25th Mar 2003, 09:26
Another tip: Don't just throw something in to try to impress them with your breadth of knowledge unless you are prepared to be questioned about it.

For example, if you have heard of 8.33 spacing or RVSM or Mode S but don't know a little more about them, then don't mention them as they will start you off into digging a rather deep hole. The interviewer will love the opportunity to 'explore the depth of your knowledge'!

All the other advice so far is sound. The best is to visit a local unit andbring that up, because you should be able to steer the interview towards things you learnt there.

blondie118
30th Mar 2003, 06:37
I was in the same postion as yourself just over 2 years ago. I was a 'near miss' on the technical interview first time round.

I thought it was mad the information they expected you to know before you've had any training.

Remember 3 degree glide path.

Just look at them logically, take your time and think it through.

All the best. :D :D :D :D

lucyfbowyer
31st Mar 2003, 19:17
thanks for all the extra help and tips
I've already spent time visiting bournemouth, birmingham and Jersey towers.
Am i able to and would it be worth my while managing to get to swanwick. If so, has anyone got any contact details to arrange a day to look around and ask questions etc.
thanks
lucy

A I
31st Mar 2003, 21:20
Hi Lucy,

If you send me a PM I may be able to help. I don't live far from you and work at Swanwick

AI

Route Papa 45
31st Mar 2003, 21:24
Lucy, You've obviously been clocking up the miles! I don't know that a visit to swanwick will give you anymore useful info except maybe a smattering of knowledge about sector groups and airways within the uk. You can get this info without the visit so i'd stay in sunny devon rather than battle my way up the M27! (food's rubbish as well) Make the most of your aerodrome visits and have a few stats about each place ready for your next interview. runway designators (i.e. bournemouth 26/08 etc), the types of a/c you saw on the day, the approach radar facilities and the co-ordination required with area control centres etc will give you ample ammunition for your return visit.

Once again, good luck.

RP45