PDA

View Full Version : JAA MEP Rating

Dude~
20th Mar 2003, 14:23
I have a UK CAA PPL. When in Australia I got a CASA Special Pilot License issued for life, with which I did 15 hrs multi flying, including 9 hrs solo. I would like to fly twins in the UK which means doing the JAR Skills Test and theroy. The CAA told me that.

Has anyone here made a similar conversion successfully? The CAA have been very ambiguous as to whether or not my previous multi time counts or not. Ie, can I do 'sufficient' training to pass the JAR SKills Test, or do I have to do 6 hrs dual with a JAR approved FTO? It would surely be ridiculous if I do as I am not asking them to automatically exchange the Aussie license, merely credit me for my already proven ability to fly twins. I susoect the problem lies with my Aussie FTO not being JAR licensed, obviously.

Of course, if I have to do 6 hrs dual in the UK, I'll have to sell my body...

rustle
20th Mar 2003, 16:01
Of course, if I have to do 6 hrs dual in the UK, I'll have to sell my body...

What will you sell to remain current once you've got your ticket? :confused: :eek:

englishal
20th Mar 2003, 20:22
Dude,

Do you actually have a ME rating on an ICAO licence? If so you do not need a JAA ME rating to fly ME G reg aircraft.....

EA:D

StrateandLevel
20th Mar 2003, 21:33
The hours count, all you have to do is pass the written exam and the Class rating skill test at an approved FTO. Alternatively, you can fly on your Australian Licence if its valid, and the insurers will acept it.

Dude~
21st Mar 2003, 08:42
Rustle, fortunately I wont have to sell my body to remain current as I have a couple of friends who love flying trips and who are more than willing to contribute 'their share' of the costs..!

englishal, yes I have 2 multi engine aircarft endorsements on my Australian CASA Special Pilots License. They are Beech Duchess and Partenavia. The Aussies do it plane by plane rather than by group ie under 5700kg.

What is not exactly clear is whether or not my CASA Special Pilot License, which is not technically a full blown Aussie PPL, counts as an IACO license, or just an inbetween. The real test will be whether or not UK FTOs will accept it. I hope so!

StrateandLevel, what is your source? Can you verify that?

Cheers, some bits worth looking into...

foghorn
21st Mar 2003, 11:25
I spoke to FCL about this several years ago as I had done 15+ hours MEP training in SA and held an ME rating on my SA PPL.

I was told that the amount of training for the JAA MEP would be at the CFI's discretion rather than 6 hours.

In the end I didn't test this out as I ended up doing the CPL skills test on an MEP aircraft after an approved 28 hour CPL/ME course to get the rating.

cheers!
foggy.

englishal
21st Mar 2003, 20:02
Dude,

If you licence turns out to be ICAO complient then under ANO Article 21(4) you can exercise the privileges of that ICAO licence including any ratings in a G reg aircraft at PPL level [except for an IR].

Its interesting to hear other view points on conversion. I asked if I could convert my FAA ME rating but was told by a JAA examiner I had to do the full 6 hr JAA course.

Rgds
EA:D

Stan Evil
22nd Mar 2003, 14:01
If you do want a JAA ME Class Rating then JAR FCL-1.240 (a)(7) says that, unless you have 100 hours on that class, then you must do the ME course. However, the UK CAA has been known to reduce this to 'training as required' but in all cases you must pass a ME Class Rating Test (LST).