PDA

View Full Version : Should the flight deck door be opened during flight

Michael111
19th Mar 2003, 21:13
Hello all

I did a day trip today JER-LGW-JER. on the outbound sector, the flight deck door was opened for some 2-3 minutes whilst refreshments were passed forward.

It was not until I was in my hire car stuck on the M25 that I thought that this may not be best practice in these troubled times. I do not think anyone should be denied refreshments but could they not have been taken in to the flight deck before takeoff? We are constantly told by the authorities in Jersey that we are a low risk area as far as terrorist attacks are concerned - perhaps this route is classified as such?

Any comments welcomed...

Miserlou
19th Mar 2003, 22:34
Believe me, the cabin crew will have checked you all out from several angles.

I don't feel there is any serious risk. What you suggest would effectively be giving in to terrorism. We English will go about our daily business as usual.

More seriously though, the events of 9/11 have, I hope, crystalized everybodys' thoughts regarding what they'd do if confronted.
Would you remain seated and hope some-one else did the dirty work?

Incidentally, some years ago (90's) an unaccompanied deportee(low risk) made a run for the cockpit in a bid to get the aircraft to crash on approach into Dublin, I think it was.
He was stopped by the first officer (or hist fist) and was pulled back by two or three male passengers who saw immediately that all was not well!
He was sat on in the forward cargo while the captain completed the approach and landing.

Localiser Green
20th Mar 2003, 08:14
On a My Travel A320 last week the flightdeck door opened during the deceleration after touchdown at Beauvais. Same aircraft returning at the weekend and exactly the same thing happened on landing at BHX!

Didn't seem very secure to me if that's all it takes. Probably could have pursuaded the door open with a nudge of a foot. Is the policy to lock the door during takeoff / landing? If so, the locks aren't terribly good!

Lucifer
20th Mar 2003, 08:31
(1) No real space up front to stow all nourishment that pilots require (A lot!)
(2) Would hardly be safe to be pouring and preparing drinks in the flight deck
(3) Would have to employ another cabin crew member to be up front to do (2)
(4) No toilet on flight deck, except on some widebodies, so flight crew have to move in and out anyway
(5) Too much hassle for no gain

ETOPS
20th Mar 2003, 12:59
My average sector length on the 777 is over 8 hours and we are locked in behind a bullet-proof door with video surveillance. The toilet is in the cabin along with the food and drink.
What would you suggest michael111 ?

TopBunk
20th Mar 2003, 15:42
ETOPS

You obviously have a problem with bladder control. Get a grip man and use the 0.5 litre Highland Spring bottle if you really must go. Surely you can grin and bear it for a measly 8 hours.

And you want food, ee lad I remember when I were a lad when we were lucky to have yorkshire pud wi gravy once a fortnight.

Weld the door locked I say.

:D

Top Bunk

BOAC
20th Mar 2003, 16:11
'Specially if ETOPS is in there!:D

PS He'd need the 1 ltr bottle..............

Captain Stable
20th Mar 2003, 17:37
... not to mention the King size Mars bars... :)

RobertS975
30th Mar 2003, 03:00
Whether or not the cockpit door is opened for any length of time appears to be one of sensitivity and nationality. No American carrier will have significant cockpit door opening. If crew needs the lav, the front is usually blocked by a galley cart and FAs. Same when refreshments are bought forward. I was on a recent AeroMexico 757 ATL-MEX where the door was opened for many minutes and captain spent significant time in the front galley. This would never, IMO, happen on a US carrier after 9/11.

Rwy in Sight
31st Mar 2003, 02:21
I feel that the question of the door remaining open is of little importance as the security issues should be issued B E F O R E the pax arrive at the airport.

If a hijacker is armed and determined enough a lock door would be of little or no significance as the would have plenty of options on putting the aircraft in danger.

OTH a cockpit visit is a wonderful exprience for a great number of wanbes and some cockpit members...

Obviously there are plenty of issues that I ignore... so I stand to be corected.

Rwy in Sight