PDA

View Full Version : Air Lingus A330 Engine Loss In States??

agnus
17th Mar 2003, 23:58
Hi,

I have heard it has been reported that an EI A330 had her engine ripped off in the states earlier this month after the capt who was on his last flight, taxied into a snow bank.??????????

If there is anybody out there with some news I would love to hear what you have heard or even believe happened. Is the capt still with them?? Was it true he was an EI A330 instructor? Lets just hope the students are not one of my Flight Deck too soon!!!!!

Many Thanks

Wizofoz
18th Mar 2003, 01:42
If that's your attitude to somebody elses mis-fortune, I hope I never have anyone like YOU on a flight deck.

Notso Fantastic
18th Mar 2003, 01:49
Agnus, as a matter of interest, what do all those ???????? and !!!!!! signify????????? Does it mean, like, 'man, I really really really want to know the answer to this!!!!!!!!', and the !!!!!!!! mean like 'Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow'. Just curious, very curious. If I tried that trick at Boarding School, the English master would bend me over a stool and it would be the belt for me my Lad. Never did me any harm, in fact I quite enjoyed it. With you getting the belt, it might teach you not to crow at other peoples' misfortunes when you don't know them and they are not Iraqi or North Korean, or from Newcastle like what Draper is.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed you, Wonder Ace of the Near East, don't screw up in the way you are so willing to draw derision on others (but then again, maybe not). Ever heard the expression 'there but for the grace of God go I'?????????

akerosid
18th Mar 2003, 05:11
First of all, it's AER Lingus (or are you one of these people who insists on spelling the Australian airline as Quantas?)

Secondly, the aircraft was taxiing in and the impact with the snowbank was not felt; it was only as the aircraft parked that damage was noticed. The engine was not ripped off and the aircraft was grounded.

I have heard that it was the captain's last flight; no action would have been taken against him, if any was required, without a full investigation.

rupetime
18th Mar 2003, 07:22
agnus

"I have heard its been reported"

So you have'nt actually read the report, infact you have only its heard its been reported ?

Quite obviously a very unfortunate incident, let alone considering its someone's last flight of what could well have been a blemish free career, your comment that you would "love to hear" makes me believe in some goulish way your actually excited by this.

how terribly sad
rt

Bearcat
18th Mar 2003, 11:02
it was'nt the Capt's last flight but is retiring soon. the eng cowling was damaged and as the previous said they only knew about it when they got to the gate when told by the engineers.

Slow Starter
18th Mar 2003, 11:20
It was actually the First Officer that had the mis-fortune of taxying into the snow bank. My wife was working the flight and nobody felt a thing.
Ripped the engine off? More journo garbage.
Why am I even responding to this BS?

maxalt
18th Mar 2003, 11:53
Boston had been dumped on in the major snow storms of that week. Snow clearance was still underway. Many taxiways were still closed. The ALT crew were given taxi instructions after landing that sent them onto an uncleared taxiway. Not their fault at all.

BRISTOLRE
18th Mar 2003, 21:06
It is true about the story, an An124 of Volga Dnepr got chartered from SNN-BOS at the last minue to move the cowl at a cost of around $100,000 USD.

411A
18th Mar 2003, 21:12
First Officer taxying the aircraft?
Another BIG mistake....except for VERY experienced SENIOR First Officers...and even then, beware.
SCD comes to mind.:eek: :eek:

AhhhVC813
18th Mar 2003, 23:28
Oh, come, come, 411A. Taxying an aircraft is not that much of a big deal; and why should an F/O have to be so experienced to do it? Precisely where are they supposed to gain such experience? If you trust them to do the take-off/landing, then what's the problem with taxying?

Fugazi
19th Mar 2003, 06:08
411A, Thanks so much for your post...Your comments just crack me up..I'm still laughing.

maxalt
19th Mar 2003, 06:11
Easy to see 411A is a Boeing man. They don't even put a tiller on the F/Os side in the 737.
Over here in 'old europe' Airbus are practising slightly more advanced CRM policies.:p

JW411
19th Mar 2003, 09:41
411A:

You are showing your age again, old boy. Why on earth should the F/O not taxi the aircraft if he has the equipment to so do?

Captain104
19th Mar 2003, 14:08
As FO/SFO's in the late seventies on 747 classics we had to argue about taxiing as PF with some grizzly-like Captains who had taken their CRM courses already in Goerings Luftwaffe during world war II. When leaving the fleet for upgrading as Captain, FO's taxiing as PF was SOP.( A quarter of a century ago)

Was that you, 411, in a flickering black and white movie dressed as an Airline Captain watching Charles Lindbergh taxiing in from his return flight to US?
That would explain something! :p :p :p

Regards

ZQA297/30
20th Mar 2003, 13:58
It is a good thing we have pprune, so that "shock, horror" type stories can be shot down.

I am never sure whether 411A is for real, or if he is just a great big windup artist.

QB, 411A?
Then again, maybe not.

timmcat
22nd Mar 2003, 08:58
Are we not being a tad harsh on poor agnus, after all, it was only his second post.

We were all new here once.

Max Angle
24th Mar 2003, 19:34
Oh, come, come, 411A. Taxying an aircraft is not that much of a big deal; Quite a lot of FO's seem to make it so. Not unsafe really, just no though put into it. I still get to park it on the stand I am pleased to say.