PDA

View Full Version : Can't VB get Oz Pilots?

Sooty
17th Mar 2003, 20:51
I'm an Australian 737 pilot working in the U.K.

I've just heard that there are two non Aussie pilots within my company alone who have interviews with VB.

Aren't there enough pilots floating around in Oz who could do with the job, let alone the ones (myself included) who have the experience and would love to get back home?

Winstun
17th Mar 2003, 22:45
They obviously have the right of residence in said country, just like you. If not, why don't you direct your complaint to the Oz Dept. of Immigration.

This cry baby wants all the cake and not share any.:{

redsnail
18th Mar 2003, 00:04
Sooty,
I hear your pain but the irony won't be lost on any British pilots.

virgindriver
18th Mar 2003, 05:32
I don't see why they can't get considered for employment here if we can work over there..:p

flightfocus
18th Mar 2003, 06:10
Aside from the irony of Sooty's post it would be nice - and probably better for our local industry - if VB could fill those seats with local talent... :sad:

Sooty
18th Mar 2003, 08:12
I agree that fairs fair. There are plenty of Oz pilots in the UK and if you have residency rights why not give it a go.
My point is that there are plenty of out of work pilots in Australia. These guys are being chosen I guess because they have command experience on type. Surely there are enough pilots within VB who are suitable for command. Or if they need FO's I'm sure there is definately no shortage of candidiates in Australia.

E.P.
18th Mar 2003, 09:00
There remain over 500 Airline Jet experienced (at least 5yrs) pilots un-employed in Australia.

Ironic how Capt J.R. screamed bloody murder when foreign pilots were used during the dispute and yet he is now guilty of the same.

Worst still that the pilots he refuses to employ had nothing to do with the "event". Those who did have not bothered to apply to V.B..:)

Ramboflyer 1
18th Mar 2003, 10:17
Virgin Blue has a serious grudge on Ansett Pilots especially Captains even those of the non-scab Variety.
The recruitment Department will never return calls and there is no way to break down the barriers.
JR hates them real bad, its kind of like we had to leave the country in 89 and now all of you from Ansett have too because you had it too good for too long.
I wonder how he will get back at the Qantas Scabs and Pilots, I mean you cant just pick on the ANSETT guys or are you really that weak....

TurbTool
18th Mar 2003, 10:45
Errr, I may be mistaken but I guess he just feels that it was the Ansett returnees, plus all those who took jobs after, that did him out of his job.

He may feel no resentment towards any Qantas pilot. I understand it was mainly the Ansett Pilots testimony in the court case that won the day for not re-employing the dispute pilots.

I guess the good bit of being the boss is you get to pick and choose who you want to employ.

I know a lot of pilots with significant jet experience, who never worked for Ansett, that can't get past first base as well.

The ex Ansett blokes are not alone.

BabyMetroBoy
18th Mar 2003, 11:51
I can't believe that just about every forum here turns into a 1989 discussion. There are some really disgruntled people out there!:confused:

Foyl
18th Mar 2003, 20:37
Thanks BIK, nice to know you care... ;)

Whingeing Pom
19th Mar 2003, 07:09
Can't EZY get UK Pilots?

I'm UK 737 pilot working in Oz.

I've just heard that there are two non UK pilots within my company alone who have interviews with easyJet.

Aren't there enough pilots floating around in the UK who could do with the job, let alone the ones (myself included) who have the experience and would love to get back home?

:p

Rabbit
19th Mar 2003, 08:17
If any pilot can satisfy both Company AND Country employment requirements and get a good job - then good luck to him/her no matter where the job is. Remember the law is the law.

Sure, 1989 in Oz was bad for those involved. Some stuck to their principals and some didn't.

I have no problem with anyone(almost) working legally in any Country for any Company. Fortunately I work for a small company that utilises existing employees when vetting applicants, I have no problem with that.

Therefore whatever critera J.R. wants to use (blue eyes, red hair or ....) to vet his employee's is up to him. You all can talk about it but it all means zip.

Have a nice day.

TurbTool
19th Mar 2003, 13:20
Isn't that just like a POM. Using logic and sarcasm to take the piss out of us hard done by Aussies. What is the world coming to.

Good post W.P. I love it!

E.P.
20th Mar 2003, 11:08
BIK-whatever....

A Beech 1900 F/O from Impulse, 2000hrs total, 23yrs old and an ex-An "politically-correct" EFIS Jet Capt., 37yrs old, with lets say 12,000hrs mostly Airline Jet exp.

YOU are interviewing for candidates who will be upgraded to NG Capt. within six months. On paper who do you choose?

Well the Jet Capt. (good bloke too) was never interviewed and the the Impulse F/O failed his upgrade. Such is the wisdom of J.R. and your decree of best man for the job.

This FACT has been repeated many, many times recently.

Cross Check
20th Mar 2003, 15:49
The Golden Rule - He who has the gold makes the rules!:ok: Charming ... must remember that one if I have to fly a desk one day ;)

Good point on international employment BIK, it's becoming more prevalent in many industries now not just Aviation - Travel, Hospitality, Tourism, Technology to name a few. Don't see it changing in the short to mid term.

It's an increasingly small world we live in now - better get used to it everyone. Best to hop up off one's own sorry ass and get a wriggle on if one wants to get somewhere in the world today. Nothing much gets handed out on a platter these days, least of all pilot jobs - right Reddo? :)

(and that's not implying you have a sorry ass ma'am! :} ... that wouldn't happen to be a SH36 seat you've been sitting in :eek: :ouch: )

(edited to keep BIK from stringing me up by the short and curlies :\ )

Hap Hazard
20th Mar 2003, 20:02
Hell, our company is full of expat Ozzies and Kiwi's, I myself was even born down under, why shouldnt VB look at anyone who meets the minimum employment criteria, no matter what the nationality?
Sounds a bit hypocritical from here, besides wasnt it a "pom" who gave the VB drivers a job in the first place?

Cross Check
21st Mar 2003, 00:45
Touché ... :ouch:

( ... smartass ... ;) )

heypilut
22nd Mar 2003, 12:47
At the end of the day there is only a certain amount of positions available and supply outweighs demand,thats reality! :eek:

Kaptin M
22nd Mar 2003, 21:08
"...37yrs old, with lets say 12,000hrs mostly Airline Jet exp." :eek:

Maybe THAT`S why!

redsnail
23rd Mar 2003, 06:00
Cross Check, yep, it's a Shed seat. ;)
Bloody glad I was going to Belfast last night instead of Dublin... The fog was a shocker. :)

Ralph the Bong
23rd Mar 2003, 06:21
I just read in interesting and perhaps relevent line from a Management text book: "When selecting the right people, hire for attitude , personality and character, not just job skill". I too, wouldn't mind a job at Virgin and have skills, enthusiasm and qualifications to be a great company asset. I would imagine many out there would think the same of themselves. However, until an employer actually extends a job offer to me or anyone out there, the best course of action is to continue with your own plans. Best of luck to you, Sooty.

E.P.
23rd Mar 2003, 10:42
BIK

In the real world non-jet experienced pilots are not upgraded to NG Capts after six months, whether you are the C.P.s son or not.

I agree with the "he who is king" however, surely you would choose the most experienced, qualified and in VBs case, politically correct candidates first and work your way down? Not start at the bottom and look overseas?

Dear Kaptain

Please feel for the forlorn QF cadets who started very young and made the fatal misjudgement of leaving for AN. Also the Cathay, Air Pacific, etc pilots who did the same. (Average 700hrs a year) All very politically correct (rejoining around Nov. 1990) and yet no banana.

Snowballs
23rd Mar 2003, 20:33
E.P.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Please feel for the forlorn QF cadets who started very young and made the fatal misjudgement of leaving for AN. Also the Cathay, Air Pacific, etc pilots who did the same. (Average 700hrs a year) All very politically correct (rejoining around Nov. 1990) and yet no banana.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately very sad, but in the real world, you would have to expect VB, or any potential employer, to suspect these guys may go chasing bananas again and likewise may be tempted to leave VB if a better job comes along. Almost without exception, employers will carefully look at someone’s employment record. They are after a stable workforce and are suspicious of people who chase perceived better jobs. The airline avaition industry is based on long term commitment by its employees.

YardGlass
24th Mar 2003, 01:12
I find it a bit hard to beleive QF cadets left for AN. Sideways step. (at the time!) Is this true? Keg?

Cross Check
24th Mar 2003, 01:22
E.P.They are after a stable workforce and are suspicious of people who chase perceived better jobs. The airline avaition industry is based on long term commitment by its employees.For the World's present low-cost carriers, surely the percentage of the "this is just a stepping stone" crew is (and would be expected to be) much higher than that of a national flag carrier given the disparity in terms and conditions between such operators? Why else would these carriers then expect you to rock up on their doorsteps type-rating in hand? It's surely not just because they want to save on the training costs - management can be short-sighted, but don't tell me they're that shallow. :rolleyes:

The only carrier that I can presume, with a comfortably degree of certainty, that really has high levels of loyalty is Southwest ... but then they're statistically so close to being a "flag carrier" why would crews want to leave - especially given the state of the US national flag carriers.

Reddo - Ah, but is it a comfy Shed seat ... that's the question?
FG :{ tell me about it ... FZFG @ LYBE a few weeks back ... I can see the bleeding RWY from 3000 overhead and RVR is 200m decreasing :uhoh: The whole week ... starts at 2200 goes until 1000 :bored:

Ralph the Bong
24th Mar 2003, 01:27
I know 4 ex QF guys who were at AN just off the top of my head. None were cadets though. These 4 expressed common themes regarding their reasons for leaving: Promotional prospects, time away from home and a more egalitarian corporate culture at AN.

E.P.
24th Mar 2003, 09:07
YARDGLASS

So good to see pilots with their head up their ass.

Snowballs

Same applies. How many VB pilots have an application in with Dragonair? 270 I hear you say?.........good guess 'ol chum.

redsnail
24th Mar 2003, 14:13
Yeah, it is reasonably comfy. Just found out I got a Dusseldorf day stop this week. Cheap grog. :p

G.Khan
25th Mar 2003, 03:02
And just how much cheap grog can you get into your 'shed' Red?

Do you go by weight or does it volume out?:}

redsnail
25th Mar 2003, 13:38
G.Khan,
If postioning back, about 3.5 tonnes. However, I think Customs and Excise might get upset. So, it's usually whatever I can stuff in my overnight bag. Works out about 1/3 or more off retail prices in the UK.