PDA

View Full Version : Instructing for spare cash/the hell of it!

reverserunlocked
17th Mar 2003, 16:15
Hullo

I'm in the fortunate position to have a successful career in broadcasting, which means I work pretty short hours, usually around 3pm until 7pm and a few late nights a week if there are club gigs to do.

This all pays pretty well and I'm determined to achieve at least a PPL by the end of this year. I'm already off to a good start.

As much as I'd love to punt arund in an A320 one day, I'm realistic in knowing that I've got it too good now to go chasing a dream that might never happen. I also question whether I'd stick at it through the ATPL's and I'm 27 now so time isn't on my side anymore.

Therefore, I am thinking that perhaps I can continue doing what I do and look at becoming an instructor in the future so that I can at least fly for some cash and gain some satisfaction from helping others.

My question is, what's involved in becoming an instructor and would I be able to do it part time?

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who instructs solely because they want to, rather than because they're hour building not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

Thanks

RU

Delta Wun-Wun
17th Mar 2003, 17:03
First the good news.......Yes you can instruct part time. Indeed many people do.
Now the bad news.........First after finishing your PPL you will need to complete either the ATPL or CPL exams. You will need to build 100hrs P1, then do the CPL course and FI course or build 150hrs P1 and then do the FI course. If you choose the later option you cannot be paid for instruction as you will have no CPL.

Whirlybird
19th Mar 2003, 21:14
reverserunlocked,
I'm hoping to instruct parttime on helicopters, and though the pay's better than for f/w, I won't earn as much as at my "day" job, and I'm going to do it primarily because I want to. I jumped through all the hoops...CPL exams etc, because I figured I could end up with the hours anyway and nothing to show for it, or do some studying on stuff which was relevant anyway (well, some of it!), and maybe get paid to fly. I now just need to do the FI test...done the course but not the test for various complicated reasons...and I may even have a job at the end of it if I get it done fairly soon. So if that's what you want to do, go for it.