PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer Gliding Schools

Megaton
17th Mar 2003, 08:19
Does anyone have an opinion on the value of instructing at RAF VGS? Is training given on the Grob 109 motor glider given less credibilty by flying training organizations than conventional SEP aircraft?

The reason for my questions is that I will shortly be starting to instruct at a VGS. At the moment I cannot afford a civilian FIC and, domestically, instructing once a week suits me. Are the hours accrued in the Grob worth anything outside the VGS environment? To a certain extent, it doesn't actually matter since I can't afford any other flying at the moment and I firmly believe that giving this opportunity to local children is a worthwhile exercise anyway; however, I'd be interested to know whether in two or three years time an FTO might regard this sort of flying as useful or merely dismiss the hours as jumped-up gliding?

If I've read LASORS correctly there is effectively equivalence between Grob 109 TMG hrs and SEP so that as far as currency and revalidation requirements are concerned, VGS flying should at least keep me current?

Grateful for inputs from any pilots out there with some experience or knowledge of this situation. TY.

Wee Weasley Welshman
17th Mar 2003, 11:10
Well going back to 1999 the CAA took a look at my VGS logbook and allowed every hour to be counted towards a BCPL issue. The even allowed the C Cat instructor rating to exempt me from all but the test for the FI rating. At the time the Vig was too heavy due to the 100 litre tank to be classed as anything but a group A aircraft.

But of course times change.

Don't believe everything you read in the publications either. By talking directly to someone in personnel licensing people have derived different answers to the same questions over the years.

If you hang around a few years and get a B Cat VGS rating and a couple of hundred hours you will be extremely well placed to gain CAA licenses and ratings.

Megaton
17th Mar 2003, 11:17
Thank you, WWW. I had forgotten that you had started this way. At the moment it looks like their is some equivalence between TMG and SEP class rating in that you can revalidate on either. I believe CFS are looking in to some of these issues at the moment. I fully intend to instruct for the right reasons and not just to fatten my logbook but it would nice to know I wasn't aimlessly boring holes in the sky.

Unfortunately, I'm only likely to be in this area for the next 2 years and with a CPL and 250 hrs in my logbook I doubt I'll reach the heady heights of B Cat in that time.

FIRMP
17th Mar 2003, 18:06
How much will instructing at a VGS that operates Vikings benefit one's chances of selection for airline sponsorship?

Bob Tav
21st Mar 2003, 20:02
Hi ham phisted
I have been flying with the VGS for sometime now, hopefully doing my C cat this year, and it is a great experience. You get checked out twice a year, so your standards are maintained. You learn a lot about instructing, and I have been told by a very reputable FI school that if you are a VGS instructor the FI course should hold no surprises. Whilst the VGS has kept my licenece well and truly alive I am not sure if the instructor quals carry any sway in civvy street. Do it and enjoy it.
Bob Tav

Megaton
22nd Mar 2003, 06:58
Many thanks for that Bob. I've done a few hrs with them already and thoroughly enjoyed it (once I'd got used to doing glide approaches every time!). By the way, have you used the VGS flying to keep your SEP class rating intact?