PDA

View Full Version : Harv's Air Manitoba

Wireless
16th Mar 2003, 18:51
Hey there,

I have been previously persuing the FAA CPL route. I have managed to get all of my funds together, but I am open to the idea of completing a canadian CPL instead. There appear to be less hassels to training there than the States. The reason that I want to train for an ICAO licence is that I want to find work in Africa. As you need a validation to fly in most African places most ICAO licences can be converted to the local licence with air law tests etc.

Anyway, enough of the reasons, I was just wondering if any of you folks know if Harv's Air in Manitoba are a decent training provider. Their website states that they have been in business a long time, but the again so have United Airlines!

Cheers Folks.

justcurious
16th Mar 2003, 18:57
They are, and tend to make you a part of their little family, both while you are there and afterwards. Steinbach is a small quiet place, especially the airport. It is, for those that crave excitement and adventure, close enough to Winnipeg (well alright, for those who want a busier airport):) . Kenora in the east, is an outstanding party/ fishing town in the summer. You would be able to fly steadliy, as your progress permits, since the weather is VFR almost all the time.

Starting over, it would have been a good choice.

Wireless
16th Mar 2003, 19:14
Thanks for the reply. Did you train for your CPL there?

I'm sorry for the dodgy spelling of Manitoba in my original post. I have only just spotted it so it's changed now. Thanks. Any more opinions would be great.

Cheers, Bill

Panama Jack
16th Mar 2003, 22:01
Just be aware that the winters are brutally cold in Winterpeg, Mantitscoldthere. ;)

Another school of good repute is ProVFR/ProIFR in Vancouver. Unfortunately, ugly coastal weather (great for IFR and they run an excellent program for that), but a slightly more humane climate.

Wireless
20th Mar 2003, 19:47
Yeah Panama Jack, I remember Winterpeg!

I travelled to Canada in 2001 with a good friend of mine. We arrived Montreal, travelled down to Toronto, then caught Via Number 1 (the train that hits the West Coast). We got off at Jasper, as we were really looking to have a good time around the Mountains. On the way the train stopped at Winnepeg among a multitude of other stops. I do remember it was very hazy and hot when we stopped by but on the return journey it was freezing. I saw the airport from the rail terminal. I have very very fond memories of Banff and Jasper ;)

Cheers Guys, Bill