PDA

View Full Version : Line Features

Fuji Abound
16th Mar 2003, 18:25
How do people apply line features - we know what the rule book says but how many of us fly the correct side of a line feature and where does the dividing line stop - for exaqmple if you are following a coastline how far offshore would we consider we are no longer following the line feature.

2Donkeys
16th Mar 2003, 18:51
I think that a degree of common sense is required here.

If you are flying in 9999 visibility and you are following a motorway at a range of 7 miles, then it is possible that somebody else may be doing the same. The chances probably become higher, the closer you are to the feature.

Similiarly, as the visibility clamps in, the chances are that anybody following a line feature will be doing so from close in.

Similarly again, the bigger, more noteworthy and wider the line feature, the further away somebody can be, whilst still reasonably following the feature.

There will always be aircraft operating in complete ignorance of the line feature that you are following, and these aircraft will cross your route, and may be at your level.

The Rules of the Air are intended to make anybody following a line feature think about their position, and the collision risk that they might pose to others doing the same. That risk probably fades once you are more than 2 or 3 miles from the feature.

Any good?

Cusco
16th Mar 2003, 18:55
I personally stick the coastline on the wingtip: The higher you go the further offshore you are, but always high enough to reach land if the donk stops.

Tried a 'practice pan at 2000 feet just off coast at Harwich the other day: Took D & D an uncomfortably long time to find me: in fact I was in the process of cancelling the practice pan when they finally got me.

Dont know where nearest receiving station is to E Anglia but they were struggling.

Safe flying

Cusco

FlyingForFun
17th Mar 2003, 08:43
Can't say I've ever really thought about this - if I follow a line feature, I stick to the right. It's rare for me to to ded-reckon on a track that follows a line feature, because it's easier to just follow a line-feature - but if my ded-reckoned track takes me along a line feature then I'll try to adjust it accordingly.

Now I start to think about it a bit, 2Donkey's advice sounds absolutely superb.

FFF
--------------

PS - Fuji, well done on finding an interesting topic that I don't think has been asked before!

Hersham Boy
17th Mar 2003, 08:55
There are quite a few line features heading in and out of Redhill (Godstone railway line, M23, M25 etc.) which also have VRPs on them so you tend to find yourself using them alot.

Because of this, regular Redhillers are pretty disciplined about sticking to the R/H side. But I've seen peeps heading toward me on the wrong side before and that could get quite nasty!

On a similar tack - how many pilots out there will divert from their chosen dead reck. heading if they spot a line feature that it's easier to track? Is this still consider feature 'crawling' or is it plain more sensible?!

Hersh

FlyingForFun
17th Mar 2003, 09:00
- how many pilots out there will divert from their chosen dead reck. heading if they spot a line feature that it's easier to track? Is this still consider feature 'crawling' or is it plain more sensible?!In the real world, it's sensible.

Perhaps one of the examiners who read this forum could tell us what you'd like your PPL candidates to do in a skills test, though (since there's nothing really wrong with occasional "feature crawling" execpt on a skills test). My guess would be that diverting to the right of the feature would be the best thing to do, but that you should tell your examiner that you're going to do it before the flight to show that you've done your planning properly???

FFF
-----------------

FNG
17th Mar 2003, 11:29
Has anyone else noticed that a lot of people seem to disregard the right hand traffic rule when flying the M25 between (roughly) Bovingdon and North Weald/Stapleford? I have often been obliged to manouevre to avoid people steaming ahead on the wrong side of the line feature (most recently when in a Bulldog-Pup formation, which you would think would be easier to see than a single aircraft, eapecially as we were down-sun as well). The problem with this particular stretch is that you cannot go very high without busting controlled airspace, whilst below you there is mucho development and few green bits, so everyone tends to be at around 2300 to 2400 feet (lower when nipping under the bit of Stansted airspace near North Weald). I hope that anyone who bothers to talk to Elstree as they pass west to east is wise enough to ignore their "instructions" to remain north of the M25, but perhaps even then they are seduced by the straight line to the VOR at one end or the other?

2Donkeys
17th Mar 2003, 11:37
Just because you happen to be close to something that might be described as a line feature - you don't have to follow it - therefore rule 19 will not apply to you.

Therefore, when bimbling in the vicinity of the M25 between LAM, BNN and BPK, you may well see aircraft that are "not obeying the rules". It has to be one of the most densely packed areas of VFR airspace in the South East.

Liberally apply rule 17. :D

FNG
17th Mar 2003, 11:42
It certainly is, and no place for bimbling, not least because of the shortage of fields to bimble into if the bimble-machine goes phut.....Most people around there seem to be going somewhere in a purposeful fashion, and that usually involves going along the M25.

2Donkeys
17th Mar 2003, 11:52
Most people around there seem to be going somewhere in a purposeful fashion, and that usually involves going along the M25.

Perhaps a bit off topic, but do you think that most people these days follow line features - or is it the case that they have their Mark 1s firmly attached to the map page of their Pilot III where they are following a track either towards a beacon, or towards some IFR waypoint they have found that happens to be near a suitable turning point.

I don't know of course, but I would bet that the amount of pure map and compass line feature following going on below the TMA has dropped off dramatically in the last few years.

This may well account for your experiences around the M25.

FNG
17th Mar 2003, 11:57
Indeed, 2 Donks, I suspect that these people are following their little screens and may not be greatly aware that there is a line feature on their right or, indeed, an aircraft in their twelve o clock level. They don't bank or waggle their wings as they trundle past and I am usually doubtful that they have seen me.

sennadog
17th Mar 2003, 17:15
As Hersham Boy says, there are a few line features around EGKR that need to be followed, the prevalent one being the railway line that runs out to Paddock Wood and beyond.

Maybe it's the local discipline but it's a bit worrying that the question needs to be asked in the first place (I'm not having a pop at you Fuji) as I'd have thought that everyone would stick religiously to the rules.

I'd also like to add that when you are "joining" a line feature, such as approaching the aforementioned from Bewl Water make sure that you keep a good eye out for other aircraft in both directions. I tend to treat it the same way as approaching a stop sign when driving!

DB6
17th Mar 2003, 17:27
Don't forget that line features make great references for aerobatics. Anyone flying aerobatics should be keeping a good lookout anyway but when you're looking around don't forget to look above and below you as well.:rolleyes: