PDA

View Full Version : FLEX Temperature

Airbus.De
16th Mar 2003, 17:35
My Question is

How do you calculate FLEX Temp for Airbus 320??

foxmoth
16th Mar 2003, 19:34
This normally comes either in a set of performance tables, or off a laptop performance program depending upon company. FLEX will vary on runway and weight.

OBK!
16th Mar 2003, 23:16
I've always wondered why they made the FMS work this out? Since the FMS does have access to performance data, temperatures/surface conditions/obsticle clearance heights and runway lenghts etc. Would seem more appropriate and efficient?

But that's just me! :O

mutt
17th Mar 2003, 02:39
Since the FMS does have access to performance data, temperatures/surface conditions/obsticle clearance heights and runway lenghts etc

I presume that you are talking about Airbus aircraft, but this data is not available on any Boeing aircraft.

Mutt.

OBK!
17th Mar 2003, 08:21
Yes mutt, Airbus.

boeing don't have FLEX! But still, it would be easier to use the FMC. The pilot can insert the required data, within about 30 seconds? and the FMC could work it out. But I think D-TO/FLEX is partly a company thing?

cheers
obk

RadarContact
17th Mar 2003, 15:54
While you certainly could have the FMS calculate TO performace based on MET-data, there is simply no way you could stuff all the environmental/terrain data for each runway into its already overloaded memory. Sad but true.

RadarContact
18th Mar 2003, 13:15
While I don't know about the FMS-link to a database, the personal laptop idea is becoming increasingly common. I use one myself for takeoff power calculation. Connecting it to the FMS would probably prove to be a real bu99er, though...

saudipc-9
18th Mar 2003, 16:11
What is FLEX temp? or D-TO?
cheers

saudipc-9
20th Mar 2003, 06:37
Mike,
Thanks for the explanation :)