PDA

View Full Version : FI as a full time job

Ian_Wannabe
15th Mar 2003, 23:40
Hey there,

I aspire to become a commercial pilot however I have to think in the realms of reality and consider what I would do if I failed to get as high as ATPLS.

So basically, whatever I do I wish to fly.... get paid to fly doing whatever. I've been tryin' to get information about flight instructing just to check out what its all about.

So I was wondering if you guys and girls could help me out.

What are the average pay of a flight instructor?

What's the life like and do you need to have another job along side instructing to keep the food coming!?!

I did try and get some info from the search but was unsuccesfull.

Many thanks in advance.

Ian

Ian_Wannabe
18th Mar 2003, 15:18
:( Instructors forum and there's no instructors willing to help me out?

C'mon dont be shy :p

expedite_climb
18th Mar 2003, 15:42
Ian,

Hard work and underpaid. Days of sitting around getting bored in the winter when the weather is crap.

At the mo you will need either ATPL exams or CPL exams passed to do an FI course. (CPL's are almost as hard too.)

KitKatPacificuk
18th Mar 2003, 22:04
Ian

Instructing is great fun and very rewarding at the right schools and with the right students. It's true the money is terrible and most places will only pay you for the hours that you fly.
If it's a bad weather day and your students want to come and do some ground school then you'll find at most places you wont get paid for it.

The going rates I have found recently is from £10 - £20 per hour flying for teaching PPL, maybe a bit more for IMC if you have an IRI to teach it.

Remember that in the summer if you work your ass off you will make the money. In the winter with short days and more bad weather and even unIMCable weather than good, the hours will rapidly come down and so will the money.

I'm not saying don't do it. I love it and have alot of fun, but I also have a business to keep the proper money coming in.

One possible way to go after you have a bit of experience is into a Commercial Flying School. Much better money in that line of work!

Good Luck and enjoy!