PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Question

azsysdz
15th Mar 2003, 11:35
As a newcomer to this forum, I hope that I have posted this question in
the correct place. The list of different forums is somewhat bewildering!

My question concerns Ryanair, and although I am not a Professional Pilot
I hope someone will be able to answer it. I and my family bought a house
near Toulouse in France a couple of years ago and up until now we have
used Buzz in order to get there for weekends away, and have always found
the service to be excellent. Unfortunately, as this will no longer be
possible from the end of the month we are considering switching to
Ryanair, but having never used them before I am wondering if they are
safe.

Having watched some of their aircraft take off from Stansted I have
noticed that they are significantly more noisy than planes belonging to
other airlines and also leave what look like oily smoke trails behind.

I have read in the press that there are a lot of new aircraft coming, but
being a firm believer in the philosophy that "you don't get something for
nothing" I want to ask some professional opinions before I entrust the
lives of my wife and children to them. Are they cutting corners to make
the prices as cheap as they are?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

FastJet Wannabe
15th Mar 2003, 15:51
azsysdz,

A reasonable question!

The simple answer is that, yes, Ryanair are just as safe to fly on as a passenger as Buzz or any other airline.

Luckily for consumers, aviation is rigidly regulated, and safety is ALWAYS paramount. Ryanair aircraft are EI registered, and therefore must conform to Irish aviation safety regulations, identical to other Irish airlines such as Aer Lingus.

Your observations at Stansted are correct, Ryanair do operate a lot of (very noisy) Boeing 737-200 series aircraft. I believe these aircraft were purchased from Lufthansa (who themselves have an enviable safety and maintenance record) Although considerably older than most of the other aircraft flying into and out of Stansted, rest assured that they are maintained to the same standards of safety and serviceability as other aircraft departing the airport.

Ryanair's fleet is made up of around 20 of these 737-200's (the noisy ones), but they have a far larger number of far newer Boeing 737-800 series. The oldest Ryanair -800 series is less than 5 years old, and many of them are less than a year old.

Should you be lucky enough to fly on a series -800 model you will enjoy travelling on one of the newest, quietest and most efficient aircraft currently flying. The -200's are shortly to be replaced.

Regarding cutting corners, it is well known that Ryanair operate a very tight schedule, including only 20 minute turnarounds (the time an aircraft is on the ground). You can make of this what you will, but it should be pointed out that tight turnarounds are very much a feature of the low cost airline model, and are a trait of all low cost carriers. I can only assure you that airline pilots are professionals, and do not jeopardise the safety of their aircraft for economic gain.

Thousands of Ryanair passengers depart daily from Stansted, and the other Ryanair hubs. Only the tiny minority that are unhappy make the fuss you have no doubt heard of. Rest assured, and enjoy your Ryanair flight. Then spend the money you saved from not flying Buzz on some extra nights out in France!

Afterwards, let us know what you think in the airlines, airports and routes forum!