PDA

View Full Version : Views on Shobdon

ChiSau
13th Mar 2003, 15:41
Flew up to Shobdon for the first time the weekend before last - boy was it busy!

On finals I had a microlight landing parallel on my left and a glider-tug on my right - great fun. Longish wait to get off again with so much traffic.

What a nice aerodrome though - very friendly and in a beautiful part of the world. Had a lovely fly Denham-Oxford-Gloucestershire-Shobdon.

Hope to go up again this weekend. Does anyone fly out of there regularly and have any local tips?

:p

Flyin'Dutch'
13th Mar 2003, 16:00
If you are after tips for the local area; Can't help you there.

However if you are after any local fields; dont forget to go to Welshpool. Nice and friendly and a free voucher in one of the mags this month.

FD

Mr Wolfie
13th Mar 2003, 18:29
ChiSau,

I agree entirely. Flew there for the first time last week. Lots of atmosphere, and as you say, loads of activity. Good value grub in the cafe too.

Was due to fly there again today but unfortunately low cloud across the welsh hills to the west put paid to that.

I don't know the area well, but one of the villages that the noise abatement proceedure requires you not to overfly is Penbridge, which is quaint with half timbered and thatched buildings and a couple of decent places to eat.

If the cloud layer lifts I intend to visit again this weekend. Might see you there ChiSau.
:D

Mr. W

2Donkeys
13th Mar 2003, 18:36
Shobdon is a great place. Very friendly people and good food of the greasy spoon variety. Well worth an outing in its own right, not least because you often get the added side-show of one of the Lyneham Hercs doing a low level fly-past.

10/10 :D

Negative 'G'
13th Mar 2003, 20:35
Did I dream this or did a Herc land there once ?

Got to agree with your comments, it was a regular haunt of mine for many years, a nice flight is Shobdon - Welshpool - Caernarfon (Via Snowdon) obviously sampling the Breakfast - Lunch - Dinner at each place respectively :D

Neg G :D

2Donkeys
13th Mar 2003, 20:53
You didn't dream it! It is not at all unusual to find a Herc on the ground there. Quite a sight.

Kingy
14th Mar 2003, 00:05
Great field, and a regular haunt of mine.

Radio is not always manned, min 1500' deadside (mountain in the way), watch out for gliders turning finals from an opposite base leg and choppers autorotating onto the southside grass. Watch the wingtip clearance when taxing to 09 hold - it's tight to the fence.

Can be very difficult to spot from the South and Radio interference can occur from Wooferton when approaching from the northeast.

Good food all week, but Sunday lunch particularly fine, good bar and an £8 landing fee. A recent nose around the hangar revealed a BA swallow and an Air camper amongst the more usual tin.

Recommended

Kingy
:D

flyingwysiwyg
14th Mar 2003, 12:12
Nice to hear nice things said about Shobdon, as I agree!

Finished my PPL(A) there in February. Really friendly and I had a great time learning there as all the cross country flights and training in the local area is nice, as are the people.

There's the Wye Valley, Worcester, Welsh Mountains, Hereford and the Malverns (watch out for the no fly over the DERA aerials at Malvern and the free-fall parcachute drop zone near Hereford) all with in 10 mins flying time. There's some nice pub / hotels around in the area as well if anyone fancys a stop.

We did have a Herc land and stop for a couple of days of last year. (He used less runway landing than I've ever managed in a Cessna)
:O

Its worth checking the notice board in the club house as Shobdon get a fair few notified low level "bombing runs" from The RAF boys in fast jets and Hercs. Well worth the watch!

May see you there one day.

Details of whats happening is on their web site at www.aeroclub.co.uk

(Quite a wide circuit with noise abatement procedures and as ChiSau says microlight traffic and sometimes gliding)

Happy flying.

fwyg
:cool: