PDA

View Full Version : Bembridge

Roundouthigh
13th Mar 2003, 11:34
Long range forecast for this weekend looks good. Thinking of going to Bembridge from Biggin. Any thoughts or suggestions on the trip and ideas for lunch would be much appreciated.

Safe flying.

Fly Stimulator
13th Mar 2003, 11:53
There are some Bembridge dining suggestions in this thread. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42540&highlight=Bembridge)

FlyingForFun
13th Mar 2003, 11:57
Or, as an alternative, you could go to the PPRuNe tail-wheel fly-in (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80623) at Turweston instead? Ok, I know it's the opposite direction, but the more the merrier...

FFF
--------------

Genghis the Engineer
13th Mar 2003, 12:14
I'm fairly regular there. If you want a scenic route from Biggin I'd recommend that you do one of the following:-

- Drop down to the South coast at earliest possible, follow the coast.

- M25 Corridor to about Lasham, X-country to route abeam Popham, then Chilbolton, follow the Test Valley south to Romsey, ded-reckon to Beauleau, either follow the Beaulieu river south to the coast, or ded-reckon south-west-ish to Lymington, cross to the Needles overhead Hurst Castle, follow the coast around the south of the Island, Bembridge is very visible not long after you've passed abeam Sandown.

Propeller Inn on the edge of the airfield is very good, but I flew in January and it was closed for redecorating, the PPR number for Bembridge will be able to tell you if they're open or not since it's Britten-Norman's preferred local.

Also if you are going to need fuel, check it'll be available (again on the PPR No.); it isn't always at weekends.

G

ChiSau
13th Mar 2003, 12:56
Crab and Lobster gets my vote!:D

Potter1
13th Mar 2003, 13:02
Crab and Lobster overlooking the beach, well worth the trip

P...

bluskis
13th Mar 2003, 17:51
Its goos to hear that the Crab & Lobster is still going strong, and the cliff walk is a nice breath of fresh air and wild bay.

Fuji Abound
13th Mar 2003, 21:55
I am afraid the cliff walk is now in the sea - but you can enjoy a walk along the beach at low tide!

Grafter
14th Mar 2003, 20:49
While you are there, why don't you see if you can visit the Britten-Norman Factory? The staff there are nice and helpful and they have some interesting aircraft in there as well!!!

Grafter

Leclairage
15th Mar 2003, 06:20
Genghis that's a nice route !
I will fly it - thanks

Dan Dare
15th Mar 2003, 18:27
Crab and Lobster is superb for most of my passengers, but does anybody have any top tips for my more discerning passengers? Perhaps a top restaurant with nice sea-views and pleasant walk from Bembridge/Sandown? (yes I know the Crab fits early all of this, but it is still a pub lunch).

Incidentally, after the Crab, it is worth walking further along the sea-front past the lifeboat station to the Benbridge harbour....

Floppy Link
16th Mar 2003, 19:01
Last time I flew in there, it was to the factory. They gave us the use of a car for the afternoon while they borrowed our Turbine Islander for a demo flight.
Nice people, nice place