PDA

View Full Version : IPA - Legal Insurance

flappless
11th Mar 2003, 21:31
Heard today through the 'grapevine' that the insurance policy available via the IPA has been withdrawn due to cost. Anyone know any better ?

ajk
12th Mar 2003, 06:49
The IPA block legal scheme is due for renewal at the end of May, they are currently checking that they are getting best value. Something most of us do with our insurances each year.

flappless
12th Mar 2003, 21:09
Thanks ajk. My understanding is that things are rather more serious than this and that the IPA can no longer afford the insurance based on the subs they are charging. I will more than likely be proved completely off the mark but I suspect things are rather more serious than they are prepared to admit. Let's wait and see.

Boeingman
13th Mar 2003, 09:18
I am a member of both BALPA and the IPA in common with many of my colleagues and we don't see both organisations as mutually exclusive.

However, I was disturbed to see in the IPA accounts that a £10,000 loan facility has been granted to the IPF. Some or all of this facility has been used and I'm not sure when it will be paid back to the IPA.

If this is the reason for the problems with the block legal insurance then I think IPA members should be told.

Double Entry
13th Mar 2003, 16:42
The IPA legal insurance scheme is available to IPA members and provides cover up to £10,000. The IPA office confirm that it is still in place and that moves are afoot to replace the current policy with one that provides better value to the members.

All members of the IPA and indeed the IPF are at liberty to inspect the books of either organisations, and both organisations publish annual accounts that are sent to members.

ajk
13th Mar 2003, 19:56
The IPA was set up for those of us who didn't want to be associated with BALPA for whatever reason, as an organisation that could offer services to pilots i.e. advice on employment, legal advice etc. The IPF (a union) was established to exploit the privelages of union membership i.e the automatic right to representation when in dispute etc. Much friendlier, cheaper and less confrontational than 'the other lot'.
Despite being much smaller, they have been very effective in representing us on such issues as flagging out and the proposed EU FTL's. Indeed they prevented the hiring of foreign pilots by BA through representation to the DTI despite the proposed deal being approved by BALPA!

Boeingman
14th Mar 2003, 01:45
I would say 50% of the IPA membership are also members of BALPA. I would also say that near 0% would be members of the IPF as well as BALPA. So why is the IPA allowed to fund the IPF (allbeit with a loan at no doubt beneficial rates and the use of IPA staff )?

ajk
14th Mar 2003, 07:05
And your point is? The benefits of IPA membership are not affected by the existance of the IPF. For both at £11 a month, not bad, much better than 1% ! And please don't come the 'but we'll get you out of jail' nonsense.

Young Paul
14th Mar 2003, 10:47
Yeah, I'd rather get nothing back for £60 per year than £600.:p

Hew Jampton
14th Mar 2003, 12:20
The IPA legal insurance scheme is available to IPA members and provides cover up to £10,000 A recent case shows that nearly ten times that amount is required to take a major airline to court on an employment dispute.'but we'll get you out of jail' nonsense Why is it nonsense?

sky9
14th Mar 2003, 14:59
HW
You are right, it might just get you legal opinion; but what do you expect for peanuts?

As one of the previous said in a slightly different way, "you pays your money and you gets your choice". What really p155e3 me off is when BALPA takes a non member under its wing as it did with BM some years ago.

It's generally reakoned that the first question that management ask when a pilot's in deep doodoo is " is he a member of BALPA?" On the basis of a £10,000 insurance cover the question about IPA is irrelevant.