PDA

View Full Version : Day Trip: How do you choose?

AerBabe
10th Mar 2003, 08:23
In my ever-optimistic way I'm already thinking about when I'll find a job, get current again and start flying off to exciting places around Britain. But most of my day-trips so far have been PPRuNe fly-ins, or somewhere that is quick and easy to get to.

How do you all decide where you're going to go when it's a sunny day, you don't have to work and your aircraft is available? Do you close your eyes and stick a pin in the map, or is there some kind of rational thought process?

Whirlybird
10th Mar 2003, 08:59
In no particular order:-

1) What's the weather like, and is it likely to be different in different areas/directions? What's the cloudbase, and will I have to cross any mountains?
2) Have I been there before; I like trying new places, and getting new airfields in my log book.
3) If I've been there before, is the food good? Do I have friends close by who might like to meet me for lunch?
4) Do I have a free landing fee voucher from Flyer or Pilot?
5) Is there anything interesting to see when I get there, especially if it's on the airfield, such as a museum?
6) How long do I have the aircraft for, and how rich am I feeling, ie how far away can I go?
7) Do I want a challenge, or just a local jaunt to somewhere I know and love?
8) Where are others going; maybe we can meet there, ie a "fly-out".
9) Do I want an interesting/new challenge on the way, eg grass runway, controlled airspace, challenging nav...whatever might stretch me a bit, if I feel like being stretched.
10) Where do I...er..just fancy going? I'll just look at the map and see what grabs me.

Lowtimer
10th Mar 2003, 09:31
Stay optimistic, I'm sure it's justified!

For me, assuming weather, availability and daylight are not constraints it's simply a matter of
- what's at the other end? anywhere with interesting aeroplanes and people is a draw, e.g. I haven't been to Kemble yet and can hardly wait
- what will I see on the way? I am endlessly fascinated by the way the ground looks so different from above, and there are vast swathes of the UK that I am am pretty familiar with as a walker or driver, but have not yet seen from the air, e.g. the Lake District
- what will I learn? e.g. flying into an RAF airfield for the first time, or flying through Class D, or going overseas
- who will come with me? Sometimes its nice to fly alone, but when I'm actually going somewhere I find it's jollier to have company.

FlyingForFun
10th Mar 2003, 10:09
Whirlybird, fantastic post!

In addition, if I've got passengers, I'll often leave the final choice to them. Some passengers have somewhere they've always wanted to go (occassionally a specific airfield, but more often it's a place they'd like to fly over, and then I pick a nearby airfield). Otherwise, I'll offer a list of options: "We could go to A, which is a really nice, small-but-friendly place. Or we could go to B, I've never been there but it's got a reputation for serving excellent food. Or C, which gives a chance to fly over such-and-such."

I also learnt not to plan until I know the weather, when a flight to Shoreham had to be cancelled due to a line of CBs, whereas I could have flown north that day quite easilly if I'd left the decision until I knew the weather.

FFF
-----------

flyboy6876
11th Mar 2003, 06:48
For a day trip, my basic criteria is "Can I do the one way trip in 1.5 hours" This makes for 3 flying hours there and back which I find quite sufficient for one day.
This gives me fairly good access to some of the coastal towns and the wine areas down south. Can fly to an estate for lunch and watch everyone else getting slightly sozzled.:(
Of course, if its bumpy on the way back, I usually get the last laugh.:}
Anything over that and it becomes an overnighter.

Mind you, I do live in a place with plenty of space so it makes it a bit more difficult for me.:p

Hairyplane
11th Mar 2003, 07:23
Flying for flyings sake in the local area can be a great experience for your passengers but pretty dull for yourself.

'Think Foreign' would be my advice.

It is simplicity in itself to arrive early at the airfeld, with a flightplan already filed and cram some excitement into the whole day rather than an hour or two in the middle of it.

Short range weather forecasting is pretty good these days.

It is surprising how many pilots - often with considerable experience - have never flown across La Manche.

My passion is the Southampton - Cherbourg trip. However, the Dover - Calais route and lunch in Dieppe following a spectacular flight down the coast takes some beating.

I don't profess to be an expert but have gone foreign many times over the past 27 years of flying.

If anybody Midlands based wants me to hold their hand on their first French trip, I work for myself and can usually drop what I am doing during the week.

HP

Ace Rimmer
11th Mar 2003, 07:45
Thing the first: Where do I feel like going - is it interesting or have good bacon sarnies
Thing the second: Will the wx/conditions allow it
Thing the third: How long will it take - can I get an a/c for long enough to complete the trip comfortably

After that it's all pretty straightforward that's to say when those three criteria answered it'll usually dictate the destination

Ace currently praying for good wx and an aircraft so I can take the Texan Rimmers on a Pub StJean (LE2K) run on Friday

sharpshot
11th Mar 2003, 12:33
Umm, how many Euros have I got tucked away:eek:

How are the cellar stocks:p

Who else can I persuade that lunch on the other side is far more appetising than McDonalds!!

And is Hack low on smokes;)

SATCO Biggin
11th Mar 2003, 12:58
Having been flying for more years than I care to think about I frequently have to make a decision on where to go. New destinations within financial range are becoming scarce and some places I wouldn't care to visit more than once!

Had the same problem last Thursday....the sun came out.....day off work.....so fly somewhere for a bit of lunch. But where?

Ended up at Lydd (old favourite, can always find it) for a Cheese and Ham sandwich.

Totalling up the cost of the aircraft, fuel, landing fee etc that was a very expensive sandwich!

When selecting a destination I invariably follow my stomach.

regards

TMC

essouira
12th Mar 2003, 20:59
One of the women at white waltham produced a brilliant diagram of airfields where you could get breakfast/lunch/afternoon tea all mapped by flight time from white waltham and star rated for quality of food and ambience. Does anyone know if it is still available ??

Keef
12th Mar 2003, 21:54
Well, Dave and I had booked to fly today, and the new GNS430 needed "testing". We decided that much as we love Calais (one landing fee, and do all the ILS approaches you want), we should go somewhere different for a change.

So pooling all our boldness, we filed for Le Touquet. The lunch was excellent, and we had a good yak with some other pilots who just happened to be there, followed by a most delightful flight back. Stocked up on fish soup (delicious!) and good claret (more delicious) and reckon it was a day well spent.

Next week we might get *really* adventurous and go to Abbeville! Or we might stick a pin in the chart and go to the nearest airfield to the pin.

FlyingForFun
13th Mar 2003, 08:47
Essouira,

Never heard of that. Do you know the name of the woman who produced it? I'm sure I could track it down, given a few clues...

FFF
-------------

essouira
13th Mar 2003, 08:49
FFF - I think it was Hilly. She had a beagle pup at waltham. Let us know if you have any luck.

sennadog
13th Mar 2003, 09:52
Keef - the restaurant at Abbeville is closed until the end of March I believe. You have been warned!:p

Fly Stimulator
13th Mar 2003, 11:24
The other thing sennadog and I found at Abbeville last month was that the moles had been rather busy, so it's best to stick to the hard runway until somebody clears the mounds and fills in the holes all over the grass.

Nobody wanted a landing fee though.