PDA

View Full Version : Morse Code: (As a mind mover)

Prince of Dzun
10th Mar 2003, 04:49
I am interested in re-entering the world of morse code and need some help to get started. Does anyone has a handle on the following:

(1) Where to purchase a tape of morse code for listening practice?
(2) Where to purchase a morse sending key with noise maker to practise sending?
(3) Who to contact for advice on the type of equipment that is needed for world coverage communication using morse?
(4) Does one need a " ham radio" licence to transmit and receive morse?
(5) Is there an organisation for morse code enthusiasts?

Many years ago I qualified for a first class radio oprators licence (part of ALTP) at 14 words per minute but these days I doubt if I could do 3 words a minute. I need something to keep the mind moving and perhaps the " music of morse" will do the trick. Any help most sincerely appreciated.

Prince of Dzun

ramsrc
10th Mar 2003, 06:41
Prince of Dzun

(1) Where to purchase a tape of morse code for listening practice?

I don't know where you are based, but if your country has a Radio Society then they probably produce practise tapes to enable people to learn Morse Code for Amateur radio. The RSGB (Radio Society of Great Britain) and the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) both produce such tapes.

(2) Where to purchase a morse sending key with noise maker to practise sending?

To get hold of a Morse key simply contact an Amateur Radio supplier in your area. They will also have "noise makers" or practise oscillators for sale, but it is fairly simple to build one for yourself.

(3) Who to contact for advice on the type of equipment that is needed for world coverage communication using morse?

Once again, find a local Amateur Radio supplier or alternatively build it yourself. The beauty of Morse is that it only takes a few easily obtained components to build a transceiver capable of world wide coverage.

(4) Does one need a " ham radio" licence to transmit and receive morse?

If you want to send Morse on a world coverage basis then the answer is most likely yes. A "class A" (CEPT Class 1) license allows the use of the amateur bands below 30MHz where most of the morse action takes place. To my knowledge there is nothing that would prevent you sending morse on another radio mode such as CB, but I don't expect there will be anyone to hear you, and you certainly won't be able to communicate world wide.

(5) Is there an organisation for morse code enthusiasts?

Not as far as I know, although I may be wrong. Many of the radio clubs and societies have morse sections, but as I far as I know there is no society dedicated purely to Morse. (I stand to be corrected on this!)

Many years ago I qualified for a first class radio oprators licence(part of ALTP) at 14 words per minute

I am sure that it will come back to you. I am told that it is much like riding a bike. Once you have learnt you will never forget, it may take practise to bring it back, but it is still there. Another comforting thought is that these days many countries have brought their Morse speed requirement down from 12wpm to 5wpm.

If you have any more questions then drop me a private e-mail and as a Radio Amateur myself I will do my best to help you.

terryJones
10th Mar 2003, 21:35
.... ..
Ram
I did 12 wpm back in 1965 for my Amateur licence, but I don't think I have used a key since. I lie, I used it as a station ident when acting as the target for a club DF contest back in the mid 70's on the 160m 'Topband'
Strange the range of topics one finds in Pprune

--... ...-- -.. . --. ...-- ..- -- -.-

Prince of Dzun
11th Mar 2003, 03:36
ramsrc:

Thanks a lot for the detailed and interesting information, much appreciated. I will follow up along the lines you suggest and hopefully I can get to grips with re-learning something that I always liked. More on your private message link.
Regards,

Prince of Dzun

Heathrow Director:
Thanks for the private message. That Lambic morse key with its two paddles sounds rather intimidating but if it's the favourite these days then I guess I can give it a go. I'll follow up your suggestions and contact the first class CW operators club. ( if I can find their address) for some soul mates. First things first though is to get the tapes and start listening.
Regards,

Prince of Dzun

ramsrc
11th Mar 2003, 05:53
Great, with a however....

It is quite often the case that when taking an amateur radio morse test (for the license), you will be required to use a straight key. As far as the UK license is concerned, it is still a requirement. Admittedly a daft one, but a requirement none the less.

Nothing to stop you using a paddle once you have passed the test though :p

terryJones

Ahhh, A G3. The prefix I wish I had, but don't! My Father is a G3, but unfortunately, being much more recently licensed I am stuck with an "M".

terryJones
11th Mar 2003, 09:49
PoD
Good luck with the morse anyway, and if you do come on the air, let us know.

Ramsrc
Only prob being a G3 is that you get ever closer to the FRONT PAGE in the RSGB call book :(
73's (or 88's if appropriate)
TJ

seacue
11th Mar 2003, 10:49
I rather doubt that anyone uses code practice tapes these days. There are a lot of free or shareware code practice programs for personal computers. Look at http://www.simtel.net/search.html and enter "code practice" into the search box.

I hope you have success with your project. I'm at 78 west, so it'll be a little hard to hear you, especially on 50 MHz ("my band").

Prince of Dzun
12th Mar 2003, 09:01
seacue:

Thanks for suggesting the "Morse Code Trainer for Windows ". It looks very interesting and I plan to download it and give it a try.

terryJone, Ramsrc, Heathrow Director:

Much obliged for the help and advice . St. Ex would have been pleased to see that some of his beloved brotherhood remains.

Regards,

Prince of Dzun

Keef
16th Mar 2003, 23:57
Seacue

78 west - we might work on 50MHz CW, on a good day. I worked a fair few Ws and VEs on that band last autumn, from just east of Greenwich (JO01HN).

There are still plenty of us active, using morse. I'm on most bands from 1.8MHz to 432MHz, albeit not all that often.

For those interested in morse, there's the VHSC (Very High Speed Club) as well as the TOPS CW Club. I think TOPS is almost defunct at the moment, sadly.

Keef
G3OIT GW3OIT

Genghis the Engineer
17th Mar 2003, 06:48
There's been a similar thread going on around the corner in Rotorheads for the last week or so, and quite a few links have been posted. It might be worth sticking your head around the door there.

G

Simtech
17th Mar 2003, 22:01
Prince of Dzun

Regarding your question about an organisation for Morse enthusiasts, you may like to look at these websites:

www.asel.demon.co.uk/fists-hq

www.fists.org

Good luck with the Morse - I look forward to working you on the air.

--... ...-- -.. . --. ....- ..- -- .--

Simtech