PDA

View Full Version : Farnborough LARS visit. Sunday 4th May.

BRL
9th Mar 2003, 00:42
Hi all. I have arranged a visit to Farnborough LARS, Sunday 4th May. We can see the new tower and the LARS operation and we can take 8, two groups of four so we can possibly have a chance to sit down and listen-in to the radar. This looks like a cracker so your names below please........

Evo
9th Mar 2003, 07:06
Me please!

(edit: it seems this reply needs to be 20 characters long now... :)

AerBabe
9th Mar 2003, 07:27
Oooooooh yes please.

(See, that makes it 20)

rustle
9th Mar 2003, 07:29
Yes please, BRL - that would be great :D

The Nr Fairy
9th Mar 2003, 08:00
BRL :

Me too, please. Who you sleeping with to be able to arrange all this ?

Anyone west of Thruxton want a lift ?

Leclairage
9th Mar 2003, 08:04
Yes me too, please!
Would LOVE to come
Well done for arranging this (not sycophancy, I really mean it)

Evo
9th Mar 2003, 08:32
Is a certain lady (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57661) still working there... ;) :O :D

AlanM
9th Mar 2003, 10:12
Evo - you know you have a court injunction against you for this!!! :)

But - no - she won't be there, the visit has been cunningly arranged to keep her away from the likes of you;) ........ but don't let that put you off!! There will be at least one other babe in da house!!

HelenD
9th Mar 2003, 10:40
Yes please BRL it could prove useful as they are a busy place and I try to avoid routes that they would cover at the moment.

Saab Dastard
9th Mar 2003, 11:04
BRL,

ME PPPPPPLLLLLLLLEEEEEAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEE!!!!! :)

I fly out of Fairoaks and this would be incredibly useful.

I had to miss the Heathrow tower visit due to working that weekend :(

and I will buy you lots of beer ;)

SD

rotorcraig
9th Mar 2003, 14:49
Think I've missed the initial 8, but would love to go if anyone drops out!

Barney_Gumble
9th Mar 2003, 16:08
Second Reserve after Rotorcraig please.

I can pick up some passengers on the way; free taxi service :O

Barney

Umtali
9th Mar 2003, 16:43
If you are not one of those who can make this visit please get the flying club you are with or the group you fly with to organise a visit direct with us at EGLF. You are most welcome as we would like to meet you so we can help you and after you see our side of the task you may be able to help us as well! Most of the local pilots are very helpful already but will hopefully get a better understanding of why we are always asking for this that and the other when the sky and the frequency seems fairly quiet and what the world looks like to us on a busy LARS day.

Hope to see you soon.

Trinity 09L
9th Mar 2003, 17:10
willing to be 2nd,3rd,4th ........reserve;)

ModernDinosaur
9th Mar 2003, 17:37
Another name for the hat please, BRL.

MD.

Wycombe
9th Mar 2003, 19:50
4/5 probably not a good day for me, which is a pity.

Umtali, if I could gather a small band of Club flyers from EGTB, could you accommodate us sometime?

BRL
9th Mar 2003, 23:46
This looks even better. There could be a chance that they allow 2 aircraft to fly in on the day if you would like to do that but this is being talked about right now and we will find out shortly if this will be possible. Also, along the same lines, there is an atc simulator over there that we could have a go of, again talks are underway to see if this is possible.

All names on here will be put in a hat and selected as you all know by now. No reseve list just wait and see. Things like this will not be accepted.....I d like to be on the list if possible.
No bribery intended but i d hate to post some of the things you said on Wed evening!!!!!!!!!
;) :p :D

Spangly
10th Mar 2003, 09:36
If it proves that popular, we can arrange more visits. The further we get into summer, the busier it will get and you can come and really be scared!

P.S. AlanM - I wish you wouldn't talk about me like that.

FlyingForFun
10th Mar 2003, 10:03
Ooh, yes please!

AlanM - sorry, haven't replied to your e-mail because I was waiting to hear back from BRL first, but I guess you two have already been in touch with each other!

FFF
-------------

Hersham Boy
10th Mar 2003, 10:23
Dammit - have been away and missed this!

I'll be happy to go along... may blush a bit if the afoermentioned luvvly laydee is there at the time, tho ;)

I'll watch the thread for developments...

Hersh

Penguina
10th Mar 2003, 13:11
Sounds great, I'd love to (and I wouldn't harass any of the female ATCOs!).

FlyingForFun
10th Mar 2003, 13:41
(* FFF thinks about pointing out that the chances of Penguina making it on time are slim, but decides that the ear-bashing he'd get if he did so isn't worth it *)

:D :) :D

Penguina
10th Mar 2003, 16:42
I'm rising above it.

:p

rustle
10th Mar 2003, 16:52
There could be a chance that they allow 2 aircraft to fly in on the day...
Cool :cool: All I need do is make my circuits a bit untidy and I'm there :p

singaporegirl
10th Mar 2003, 17:02
Yes please! [Puts on special pleading voice] I don't get special preference because I was unable to go on the Heathrow visit do I? :sad:

(Well if you don't ask...) :O

AlanM
10th Mar 2003, 20:33
Big Red L

Please make sure that at least 7 ladies attend!!

Not looking good with the fly-in side at the moment matey. Standby for further.

AerBabe
10th Mar 2003, 21:09
"Ladies"? Oh darn. :(

Skippy the Dog
13th Mar 2003, 07:43
BRL

I can believe that anyone would attempt to bribe a guy who was so generous with his pork pies. :p

Woof.

AerBabe
13th Mar 2003, 09:16
Careful Skip.... Your master told me he'd lock you in the shed if he caught you using his computer again. :eek:

Skippy the Dog
14th Mar 2003, 08:12
Hello Nice Lady,

I hope your hand is nice and clean now - sorry about that...

Do you really think a Master who takes me to posh hotel to meet new friends, lets me sleep on his bed and buys me lots of treats would really consider locking me in the shed? :)

Not a chance! :cool:

What a Loop
14th Mar 2003, 15:05
I live just round the corner from the thing and have watched them put all the new buildings up, I would love a chance to have a look inside.

Please Please I have years of experience in grovelling

:D :D :D :O

Barney_Gumble
22nd Mar 2003, 15:49
L

Any news on this visit Sir?

Barney

BRL
22nd Mar 2003, 18:08
Hi Barney. Everything is fine so far. Only thing is we can't now fly-in as was suggested. Our sponser can pick up 4 from Blackbush(if you want to fly there instead) if required as he lives only 5 mins away. Look out for an announcement early April regarding who is going. :)

drauk
23rd Mar 2003, 10:54
This visit sounds very interesting. Please count me in. [Verbosity to overcome message size limit]

pilotwolf
3rd Apr 2003, 23:44
I had thought I was on the list but it appears not... Please add me - without the hound!

FlyingForFun
7th Apr 2003, 18:06
In order to keep up with this visit, you will now need to read two threads. And, purely in the interests of sport, the two threads have been cunningly put into two different forums, just to keep you all on your toes! :D

Ok, for anyone who doesn't read the whole of PPRuNe (what? You mean there are people out there who don't???) I'll give you the link: try this thread in the Bashes forum (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85863).

Some of you I know have already read this thread, and know that it's me who's doing the draw. I know you know because you were all trying to be very nice to me at the Duxford fly-in ;)

I will probably do the draw later this week, so if your name isn't on this thread yet, then this is your last chance to post. I know this visit is going very popular - for many of us it's far more relevant than visits to large commercial airports. There's no way I can keep everyone happy, other than to do my best to organise further trips for those who aren't the lucky ones this time. But if you haven't posted on this thread, then you definitely won't be picked.

FFF
--------------

Bond
13th Apr 2003, 00:46
Yet another one. (is that twenty?????????)

ModernDinosaur
13th Apr 2003, 06:21
Sorry BRL - got to pull out for this one - I'm going to be out of the country that day now. Good luck to all of you left in the draw!

Cheers,

MD.

The Nr Fairy
13th Apr 2003, 15:46
I may have lost the plot, but is there a list yet of those who are lucky enough to be attending ? Perhaps edit the 1st post (a la GatBash style) ?

FlyingForFun
14th Apr 2003, 16:33
Nr,

No, you haven't lost the plot - although I did the draw last Friday as promised, I didn't get a chance to post the results.

I like the idea of updating the first post, but since I didn't make that post, I can't edit it. So here's the list:

AerBabe
Big Red L
FlyingForFun
Nr Fairy
Penguina
Pilotwolf
Rustle
Saab Dastard

There will also be a couple of reserves:

1st Reserve: HelenD
2nd Reserve: Evo

You guys will get to go if anyone else drops out.

Can all of those named (including the reserves) please e-mail me the following details (I prefer e-mail to PM - please click on View Profile then click on Click Here To Email FlyingForFun):

Full name
PPRuNe name
Passport number
Nationality

If you're not able to go, please let me know asap.

For those who weren't picked this time, all I can say is sorry, I'd have taken you all if it was possible. But I'm sure we can arrange another visit.

FFF
--------------

rustle
14th Apr 2003, 19:18
FFF tried emailing you via the link, but keep getting sent back to a "password recovery" screen :rolleyes:

Did you get my email?

FlyingForFun
14th Apr 2003, 20:23
Well, it seems my e-mail account isn't working - neither through PPRuNe, nor if you e-mail me directly!

I'll post again when it starts working.

FFF
----------------

rustle
15th Apr 2003, 03:58
Would it be easier just to use the (functioning) PM system :rolleyes: :p :cool:

PS, I know a song about that, too ;)

Evo
15th Apr 2003, 15:31
FFF, your e-mail is still b0rken, so i've PMd you...

FlyingForFun
15th Apr 2003, 16:50
Yes, e-mail still broken - if I can't get it fixed soon I'll post alternative ways for people to contact me. According to Yahoo, I don't have an e-mail account with them any more, despite having 7 unread e-mails.

And it seems like two of the original eight have something better to do. (Yes, it really is better!) So HelenD and Evo - you're both in!

I will pick another two reserves out of the hat some time soon.

FFF
----------

pilotwolf
16th Apr 2003, 00:19
Sorry to mess you around FFF...

But it is a once in a lifetime opportunity - especially as one of us is getting old! Can we be put the list for the next visit - please!

:D

Evo
16th Apr 2003, 00:30
And it seems like two of the original eight have something better to do. (Yes, it really is better!) So HelenD and Evo - you're both in!

:ok:

pilotwolf
16th Apr 2003, 00:51
EVO

You're welcome - cheques should be made payable to......

:p

HelenD
16th Apr 2003, 02:25
I have PM'd you FFF, do you know the car parking arrangments and directions

FlyingForFun
16th Apr 2003, 16:44
I've just managed to successfully send myself an e-mail through my PPRuNe profile - so could you please all try again? If you still have problems, try e-mailing me directly at [email protected] - note there is no '.' in the first part of the address.

Could you also please include a telephone number - mobile if possible - so that I can inform you of last-minute changes of plan if necessary!

For those who have PMed me your details already, sorry to mess you around, but I'd appreciate an e-mail - if I have everyone's e-mail address then it makes it very easy for me to send instructions.

I don't have any more details at the moment regarding times, directions, car parking, etc yet, but I will forward them on as soon as possible.

Is it really less than three weeks to go? Ok, I'd better get things organised!

FFF
-------------

Evo
16th Apr 2003, 16:56
There could be a chance that they allow 2 aircraft to fly in on the day...

Is this still an option?

AerBabe
20th Apr 2003, 14:08
And it seems like two of the original eight have something better to do. (Yes, it really is better!)

Mon dieu... what could be better than a trip to Farnby?? :confused:

AlanM
20th Apr 2003, 14:57
Flying in no longer an option.

Sorry:(

(AerBabe - please don't use the phrase Farnby at the visit!)

rustle
22nd Apr 2003, 21:27
FFF any news on where / when to meet up etc :p

Ta.

FlyingForFun
22nd Apr 2003, 21:59
Hi Rustle,

Have had replies from all except one of those going (you know who you are!) When I get the details from the last person (and I've got at least 4 e-mails waiting for me that I can't read until I get home, so I may have it already) I will forward all of the details on to AlanM for him to pass onto his wife (who will be our sponsor for the day) - hopefully she'll get back to me soon after that with further instructions.

FFF
-------------

FlyingForFun
23rd Apr 2003, 22:13
We have yet another drop-out.

So that means I need to pick out more names.

Drauk - you're in, if you're free!

And two more reserves:

Singapore Girl - you're first reserve
What A Loop - second reserve.

Can all three of you please e-mail me ([email protected]) your full name, PPRuNe name, passport number, nationality, and phone number (mobile preferred, especially for the reserves) asap!

Thanks,

FFF
-----------

Saab Dastard
5th May 2003, 01:18
Thanks to all concerned in arranging the visit and hosting us today. :)

Great opportunity and very useful for a Fairoaks pilot - I look forward to talking to you again soon - on 125.25!

:ok:

Cheers

SD

rustle
5th May 2003, 01:27
Agreed :ok:

Top afternoon for lunch in a beer garden, followed by a very interesting tour of the new tower, radar-room and airport.

Thanks "Alpha Watch" :)

HelenD
5th May 2003, 06:01
Thanks to Flying For Fun for organising it and thanks to all the controllers there for giving us an insite to what happens and making me feel Farnbourgh isnt a scary frequency.

drauk
5th May 2003, 06:12
Thanks FFF and to the people at the airfield. Very interesting. Even the guy that shoots the birds was very friendly.

AlanM
5th May 2003, 07:28
Glad it all went well.

(I can shoot birds too - any takers!!??)

Digicam at the ready!

Evo
5th May 2003, 15:09
Many thanks to those who organized this and took the time to show us around. It was a fascinating trip, and it's good to know a bit about how it all works from your point of view. Hope the early-evening 'rush hour' wasn't too bad :)

Didn't meet the bird-shooter, although Saab and I did worry a bit when Rustle disappeared after popping outside for a bit... :ooh: ;)

The Nr Fairy
6th May 2003, 00:57
Got to add my voice to the thank you's. Interesting seeing all those little blippy things and knowing I could be one at some point - and the mental gymnastics involved when things went frenzied just before we left were a wonder to watch !

FlyingForFun
6th May 2003, 05:58
Not sure why everyone's thanking me - all I did was pass messages along. The real thanks have to go to AlanM for organising it, and his lovely wife Angela and her colleague Dan who took care of us, showed us around, and took the time out of their obviously very busy day to give us one probably the most relevant (for a PPL) - not to mention fascinating - ATC visits that I've done to date.

I hope someone can organise another visit in the near future so that those who wanted to go to this visit but weren't able will get another chance.

FFF
-----------

Hersham Boy
6th May 2003, 16:10
What I want to know is whether the lady with the oh-so-sexy voice looks as good as she sounds?! And single...? :D

Hersh

BRL
6th May 2003, 16:35
Here we go AGAIN (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57661) ;)

Penguina
6th May 2003, 20:18
Bit boring for those not involved, but it was a great day out - thanks to our sponsors (and respect as well, following a back seat view of them in action staffing the LARS on a mind-bogglingly busy day... :ooh: ).

Hersham Boy
6th May 2003, 20:53
Yes, yes BRL - but nobody was able to comment from first hand experience, I don't think!

Don't want to look like a pre-vert though, do I! :O

Hersh