PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Jar PPL

piperpa38
9th Mar 2003, 00:33
Where can I go to finish my PPL in Europe some where that has fine weather as it is taking forever in UK. I have approx 50hrs exams all passed need to finish some dual training, XC and flight test. Is this possible:confused: to transfer to another Jar country?

Thanks

Piperpa38

BRL
9th Mar 2003, 00:49
Hi there. If its good weather you want then Teneriffe/Canary islands have great weather all year around so maybe look into there. If you do, don't forget that Lanzarrotte(?) can be very windy at the best of times. Good luck. :)

piperpa38
9th Mar 2003, 01:35
Thanks L

Anyone got any web addresses of schools not having much luck with googling :D

HelenD
9th Mar 2003, 10:34
I believe that the PPL has to be fully completed in 1 Jar state though I think the ground exams can be completed in another state. If you want good weather in the UK I would suggest Inverness as it has a micro climate. I completed my PPL there in early January though I did all the grond exams elswhere in the UK.

iankain
9th Mar 2003, 14:06
Piperpa38, Helen D is nearly right - the rules are that you have to complete 25 hours dual and 10 hours solo in one JAR member state. You also need to pass all the theory exams in this same state. If you have 20 hours gained say in France and then you move to the UK you are only allowed to carry over 10 hours to your UK training but these 10 hours cannot be solo.

If you want better weather why not go to an approved school in Florida ?

Dantruck
9th Mar 2003, 15:31
Suggest you come fly at Malaga. Check out...
http://www.aero-club.org
...and then give them a call. Talk to the lovely Mariam who will tell you all about the packages they offer, in' car-hire, accomodation, etc.
The weather is great, plus you get to mix it with everything from helicopters up to King Fahd's 747. Plus you've got mountains, sea and short international routes, all in one place. I'm sure Tote or one of their other pilots can check out what's transferable ref your training so far

GoneWest
12th Mar 2003, 03:52
Piper...have had to hold off from answering this - as things were happening, but....

There is a little known fact - that no doubt many people will dispute....especially as it is not in writing anywhere that I can find......but........

It seems that JAA land has actually woken up and agreed that most of the JAA things are actually European and not National.

Everything WAS as posted above. All qualifications and requirements had to be done under any one member state - everything, done by one country.

First change, I believe, was the medical. You can now get a medical in any JAA state and it is valid for training and application purposes in any member state - great news for the mainland Europeans that come out to Florida to train with a UK registered FTO.

Now it has progressed to flight training. Theory examinations for PROFESSIONAL licences can be done in one state - with the flying done under another state. Maybe do the ATPL writtens in Holland and the flying at a UK FTO in the USA - or anywhere with sunshine.

This does not apply to written exams for PPL - as they are more National. The PPL writtens need to be done in the member state that you intend to apply to for a licence - the flying, however, can be done under a different state PROVIDED there is an "inter-state agreement" and the FTO you go to is JAA approved.

Have a look at this JAA document (http://www.jaa.nl/licensing/licensing_longterm_frame.html) - but I have to admit that I haven't looked at it yet, I've only been told about it.

There is a lot more to this - but I'm not going to explain it all - especially as all you need to know is that you can move to another state IF THEY AGREE. I'm advised that Belgium gets a bit sticky about it - but Holland welcomes it with open arms.

If you want to transfer to another state to finish the FLYING part of your UK issued PPL then drop a line to [email protected] and tell him EXACTLY what you have done so far, and what you believe you still need to do.

Best of luck with the flying - and do expect that many people will tell you that this information is incorrect. To be honest - if I had first heard it through a medium such as Pprune I would not have believed it either (and I, more than most, should not say that).

piperpa38
14th Mar 2003, 04:26
Thanks for the replys. I am looking into it and will post what I find out.

Piperpa38