PDA

View Full Version : Private Flying - early memories...

Whirlybird
8th Mar 2003, 11:15
Since Big Red L 's thread linking to early posts on this forum seems to have died (or I can't find it anyway), I thought maybe I'd start one, with people's memories of those early days...

Way back when, before we had a forum of our own, I think some of us used to inhabit Wannabes, or Biz Jets and GA, or a forum which no longer exists on gliding and ballooning and so on. I seem to remember it was Rightstuffer who first suggested we have a forum for PPLs. Is he still around? Anyway, Danny agreed to it, and Private Flying was born. There weren't that many of us then. Who do I remember from the early days? I was there, with my original name, R22 . There was LowNSlow, Girl Flyday, Genghis the Engineer, Beagler, BEagle .... Who have I missed out?

We grew rapidly, because people from other forums discovered the new one, even though it was hidden way down the list of forums. We also poached people from the Flyer email list, and those of us on both had great fun working out Flyer posters' PPRuNe names. I've got a feeling we acquired ShaggySheepDriver and Keef that way, but there must be others; who else?

What did we talk about? There was Hungry Pilot , who pretended to be an airline pilot, and was dead against this forum, and very rude about it. I remember the day, browsing Wannabes, when I discovered that Hungry Pilot was just a young wannabe; I exposed him, and hey presto, he disappeared. :) There was a thread that got taken over by me and LowNSlow , both of us bored at work on the same day. A trouble-stirring interloper on the new forum decided to give us a hard time: "Gawd, why don't you two just email each other?" I got upset, told my big tough friends in the chat room, and Private Flying was invaded by Flapsforty and Velvet , who joined me in flaming this guy. I asked if there were any other female helicopter pilots, and some woman complained at my even asking the question! :confused: But such incidents were rare. On the whole it was a nice friendly forum, and this was often commented upon by refugess from forums where this wasn't the case, especially Wannabes.

We tried to have a fly-in fairly early on. I recall waiting at Shobdon, talking on the phone to Rightstuffer and others; there was fog at Sherburn in Elmet, and we tried to find an alternative, eventually giving up. We tried again..and the weather caught us out again. But LowNSlow and I traded a trip in my R22 for a trip in his Cub, and I think a few others managed to meet, fly together etc...anyone remember any details?

So the forum grew... but that's enough of my memories. What do the rest of you recall?

LowNSlow
8th Mar 2003, 11:47
I still remember the mini magic carpet ride in the R22 as well as the bacon butties in Welshpool Whirl. Shame I left the cross feed to the main tank open when I filled the wing tank and washed your shoes in AvGas :rolleyes:

I'm still presently surprised at how polite Private Flying has remained as it grew to being one of the largest single forums on Pprune. Let's all give ourselves and BRL a bit smug pat on the back :D :D :D and say nah nah, nah nah, nah to all the miseries out there ;)

The bashes I've been to have usually (read always) ended in a blur of half remembered names and faces so it was good to meet some Ppruners in a more sober environment at Sywell. Pity I was so short of time that day. I'm looking forward to future pprune Fly-Ins where I can organise more time :D

PS Whirl what ever happened to Velvet :confused:

AerBabe
8th Mar 2003, 12:22
I only read it occasionally in the early days and this was before I even registered my previous identity. So I don't remember much. :(

Low, Velvet is alive and well. I'll be seeing her next week so I'll tell her you were asking after her.

Whirlybird
9th Mar 2003, 12:09
LowNSlow,

I still remember that Cub trip too; great fun despite the Avgas shower...I do hope you got your compass fixed though. :eek: As Aerbabe says, Velvet is alive and well, she just somehow has managed to escape from the PPRuNe addiction that has enslaved so many of us for so long. :D

Doesn't anyone else have any early memories? They don't have to be that early, just your own memories of finding Private Flying etc. Come on, some of you regulars, reminiscing is fun!!!!!

Keef
9th Mar 2003, 14:03
Yes, I confess to arriving here when come persuasive lady on the Flyer List suggested it... Hiya, Whirly! :p

It has been pretty polite most of the time, although I remember getting a bit hot under the collar a couple of times.

I met Velvet at Popham, I think that must have been just before she went incommunicado. Tell her we miss her! "Come back, Velvet, all is forgiven."

Most of the fly-ins and bashes are at times when the "other" job has me fully occupied, but I try to make them all (and fail abysmally most of the time).

AerBabe
9th Mar 2003, 16:18
Are you suggesting that my flying her to Popham had something to do with her leaving? :eek:
Keef, this other job... I know the boss might get angry, but couldn't you risk it occasionally? ;)

Genghis the Engineer
9th Mar 2003, 18:54
Good grief, I didn't think we'd been here long enough to be allowed nostalgia.

Talking of nostalgia I was having a clearout of some papers today and found the letter from the editor of Flyer telling me I'd won the TWD competition. When did they stop giving prizes for it? I could do with a new sweatshirt, the 1991 vintage one is looking slightly worse for wear now.

G

QDMQDMQDM
9th Mar 2003, 20:01
One of the interesting things about the web is the way in which it is constantly evolving and therefore what went before gets swallowed up by the new. In 10, 20 or 100 years there will be very little record of the early, faltering days of the web and the story of web design and development risks being largely lost.

Quite a paradox, no? Wonder if there are any web 'museums' out there? Must be, I suppose.

QDM

Evo
9th Mar 2003, 20:15
QDMx3

Wonder if there are any web 'museums' out there? Must be, I suppose.

Sure there are - try http://web.archive.org

Could get this (http://web.archive.org/web/19981203104613/http://fool.co.uk/), for example ;)

The Flyer (http://web.archive.org/web/19970409114934/http://www.flyer.co.uk/) website has moved on a bit too :)

Keef
9th Mar 2003, 20:24
AB - you never know! I didn't realise you flew her there. ;)

I can get Sundays off - I get one every month! But if I don't turn up on a "working" Sunday, a lot of people grumble at me.

Even nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

QDMQDMQDM
9th Mar 2003, 21:56
Evo. I am gobsmacked, mate. Amazing. There it is. I even remember putting that page up.

QDM

LowNSlow
10th Mar 2003, 05:30
AerBabe please pass on my felicitations to the indomitable V and try to re-Pprune her :)

I can still remember feeling pleased at the creation of the Private Flying forum. Watching the ebb and flow of names has been fun as well.

BRL
10th Mar 2003, 11:05
Here is the link to what Whirly was on about... When I was a lad........ (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82980)