PDA

View Full Version : Navcanada

mhk77
7th Mar 2003, 17:49
I really like the idea of working in canada however I have heard many different things about navcanada, some good, some bad. Does anyone here have any views or advice about applying to Navcanada? What happens if you get out there and decide you want to come back a few years later. Would NATS take you back? Any advice or information really would be appreciated. Thanks!

Plazbot
8th Mar 2003, 00:32
hopefully it is all as good as it seems as i have my intervew this week over there. I have done lots of research into it and it looks quite good. About NATS taking you back? Would you really want to return?

mhk77
8th Mar 2003, 08:48
Plazbot-check your private messages

Plazbot
8th Mar 2003, 11:57
Done (plus some spam now for 20 characters)

mhk77
8th Mar 2003, 14:59
Plazbot-thanks for the info! :-)

jtx2
8th Mar 2003, 19:49
I'm in the early stages of looking at going to Navcanada. I've heard that the average leave in Canada is only 2 weeks though. Don't want to appear to be over stressing time off, but neither do I want to escape to a wonderful country like Canada and spend 50 weeks a year in the dark! Also it doesn't seem safe for a flight-safety job, to keep at it for so long without respite.
Does anyone know what the deal is with leave?

Plazbot
8th Mar 2003, 20:12
Operating Employees

An operating employee who has earned at least ten (10) days’ pay for each calendar month of a vacation year shall earn vacation leave at the following rates:

(a) one hundred and twenty three decimal seventy-five (123.75) hours per vacation year if the employee has completed less than eight (8) years of continuous employment;

(b) one hundred and sixty five (165) hours per vacation year if the employee has completed eight (8) years of continuous employment;

(c) two hundred and six decimal twenty-five (206.25) hours per vacation year if the employee has completed nineteen (19) years of continuous employment;

(d) two hundred and forty seven decimal five (247.5) hours per vacation year if the employee has completed thirty (30) years of continuous employment.

Effective September 1, 1999:

jtx2
8th Mar 2003, 20:41
Plazbot, Thank you very much. I assume that that is 'shift hours' off. I'm programmed to think of 24 hr days which means only 5 days, but based on 8 hour shifts, that's about 15 days worth - for the first 8 years.:ok:

FREQSEPARATOR
9th Mar 2003, 10:34
I heard they were only looking for people with area/terminal experience ?

long shifts , very little leave and an employer who i believe has not given its employees a contract. :eek:

Jerricho
18th Mar 2003, 13:15
Just to follow from Freq,

How long did Air Services Australia guys and gals have to wait for their EBA to be finalised?

AirNoServicesAustralia
19th Mar 2003, 00:09
Long enough and still crappy enough in the end for me to end up working in the middle east

jtx2
19th Mar 2003, 07:37
Plazbot,

Sorry I forgot to say good luck - how was it?

Roger Dodge
19th Mar 2003, 16:44
Plazbot

Thanks for the post re number of hours leave per year depending on hours worked pcm. What is the 'usual' shift pattern?? Is it like Uk 6 on 4 off or is it 5 on 5 off?

Ta

seanr
19th Mar 2003, 19:32
It's usually 17 on / 11 off over 28 days, made up either 6/4 6/4 5/3 or 6/3 6/3 5/5 as I understand it.

Jerricho
19th Mar 2003, 20:52
Jtx2,

He's still over there at the moment!

Probably the most work he has done for ages!

And the hours sound right....loads of overtime available I believe, if you're into that sort of thing.

Pushin_Tin
23rd Mar 2003, 02:25
Does anyone:

-Know the Nav Canada upper age limit for recruitment?

-Have a current email addy for thier HR section?

Thank:D

MinimumRest
23rd Mar 2003, 20:05
Does anyone know if NavCanada take us Brits as ab initios, or is it only if you're already trained, valid and experienced??

MR XxX

Barnaby the Bear
25th Mar 2003, 11:40
As everyone else is asking the questions. What are the chances of getting an ATC job in Canada with only a valid UK ADC licence. I am prepared to learn French!!!!:}

Canoehead
29th Mar 2003, 10:37
As I understand it, only terminal/en-route types are considered. (sorry you tower guys) Your abilities will be assessed in a simulator (for what that's worth) Email me if you need the contact-hiring person's coordinates.

seanr
30th Mar 2003, 04:15
Canoehead (et al),

Yes, recruitment is geared towards the Centre jobs. However, when I applied last year, I was offered the choice of IFR or VFR streams (based on a mix of TWR & Area experience). The VFR jobs are dependant upon what is available at the time: there doesn't appear to be the ongoing shortage which the Centres are experiencing. It might be worth a punt for anyone interested.

SR