PDA

View Full Version : How much T/P insurance should my Flying School have?

zlinz142
6th Mar 2003, 12:01
Hi,

Just starting out on PPL.

Couldn't find anyone asked this before but I'm interested to know how much minimum Third-Party Insurance is recommended.

Some Flying Schools say they have £500K others up to £2.5M.

What would happen if as Pilot under instruction - I dropped the A/C on someone who sued for more that this - would I be liable or the Flying School? (assuming I survived!)

Neil

FNG
6th Mar 2003, 14:49
If you are flying as pilot in command on your own licence, the primary liability is yours. If flying with an instructor, the primary liability is the instructor's. If flying solo but as an unlicensed student under the supervision of an instructor on the ground, the primary liability is yours, but a claimant might seek to establish that the instructor (and through him, the club), was negligent in signing you off solo. In addition, the aircraft owner has a liability for damage to people or things on the ground, but not in the air.

See also

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79560

zlinz142
6th Mar 2003, 15:28
FNG,

Many thanks. I also read the other thread - very enlightening.

So. To protect myself - is it feasible for me to get additional insurance of my own to cover the potential shortfall in the event that the worst happens? i.e. are there Insurers who will cover me while I am training especially as I will not be the owner of the A/C in which I'm flying?

If so - can anyone recommend an insurance outfit for this?

Neil

FNG
6th Mar 2003, 15:35
It is prudent to be aware of risk, and a good idea to reinforce the concept of being personally responsible for what happens (one of the many attractive things about flying) but on the other hand don't worry too much. I would expect most schools to have good cover which will protect you as a student againast third party claims. Ask them what they have. You probably could buy top-up cover although it might be expensive for a student. I am sorry that I don't know of any brokers to recommend, as one of my co-owners does my group's insurance.

Enjoy your PPL course.