PDA

View Full Version : PPL Training

Alltheway
5th Mar 2003, 20:55
I have always wished to become a pilot, have had four hours training in the UK and now have saved for a PPL Course. Wish to do it in America, have been told ***training is poor. Does anyone have a moment to recdcomend a suitable alternative please.

Also looking to do instruct to build hours. Can you do this straight after getting your PPL? Any idea's where to look for positions?

Thanks again to anyone with a spare moment.

Northern Highflyer
6th Mar 2003, 10:12
cmvidini

Before you can be an instructor you need your commercial licence and an instructor rating. Before you can start this course you need your PPL and 150 hours logged unless you go the ab-initio route.

Have a look at some of the threads on here and they will answer a lot of your questions.

LFS
6th Mar 2003, 10:39
Not strictly speaking true. To instruct you only need a PPL, the CPL Theoretical Exams Passed and an FI rating, although you can obviously not be paid for instructing without the CPL licence. Also to start an FI Course you need 200 hours TT and 100 hours P1 including 5 hours SEP P1 in the 6 months prior to taking the pre-entry flight test.

Northern Highflyer
6th Mar 2003, 10:47
LFS

I am still a relative newbie and not fully up to speed on instructor stuff - thanks for the correction.

Are you an instructor at LFS ?

Julian
7th Mar 2003, 14:47
There have been previous threads on this if you do a search but I think you can also instruct ona PPL/FI+ 14 Exams if you dont intend to get paid.

higney85
8th Mar 2003, 15:27
training poor in the US? well it depends how and where you do your training. Theres the part 60 school and then theres the part 141. 141 is the best route because you fly with different instructors (stage checks) and you are on a syllabus. Minimum for private is 35 hours (141 standards here). The average is 50-60 once its all said and done. If you go and fly every day you could do it in one month (people do that). Next you will want an instrument b/c i dont know one CFI that doesnt have the IR. Under 141 you can jump right into instrument and the standards for time are the same. Under part 61 you must have 50 hours of CC time before you get to log your instrument. Back to 141.. Any time during IR after 35 hours can be logged for commercial time. Commercial is 120 hours. You will have to have a minimum of 200 hours to have a PPL, IR, and comercial rating. I would advise a multi rating (about 2 weeks/15 hours) and then get your CFI,CFI-I, and MEI. You could do that in about 250 hours total.

agroflyer
11th Mar 2003, 17:17
There are good schools and good instructors in the US.

I know some guys that trained in Europe and instruct there because the weather is better or they just happened to go in the US for building hours and they stayed.

The school can be great but the instructor you get is poor - that is part of the gamble (you cannot predict it).

Hope I am of some help!

Enjoy.

CrazyOne1203
15th Mar 2003, 12:04
I Train at Sunstate Aviation in Kissimmee, Florida and I have gotten awesome instruction, I have 50 hours and I am taking my checkride tomorrow.