PDA

View Full Version : Build hours and get a job?

Freak
5th Mar 2003, 12:08
Hello Everyone.

So I'm 23, live near Brighton, have a degree in Aeronautical Engineering, have done a fair bit of Gliding in the past and currently have a PPL(A) with around 55 hours total. I'm working at a small engineering firm which has nothing to do with what I want to do in life, but it pays the bills for now and [insert CV talk here].

I'm looking to jump off my current ladder and onto the flying one, even if that means starting off at the bottom again (not that I'm high up where I am now).

Ideally - and like a lot of people - I'd like any sort of aircraft operator to give me a fully sponsored training scheme and guaranteed job, but we all know that the chances of finding one of those are, well, zero.

So the next best thing for now would be to find a job doing anything in the flying arena and build up my hours in my spare time to at least the CPL sort of stage.

Does anyone have any similar-situation-anecdotes or advice on what I should do? (Or Job offers come to that....)

I'm filling in a form for Air Atlantique at the moment (although I don't quite meet the hours yet), but if that doesn't work out then I need to change my current job for the intermediate stage and I'm a bit overwhelmed with options.

Sorry to be a pain!

Holloway
5th Mar 2003, 12:16
Im the same situation really. Im an IT Manager earnin good money but it bores me to death and want a carrer with Aviation. Bit of a bummer and would be interest to hear the results of your post.;)

Dufwer
5th Mar 2003, 13:08
Prehaps the Wannabe Forum would be the best place to find answers. This question has been asked and answered many times over there. Best of luck.

Long Beach CFII
6th Mar 2003, 09:09
If you have access to a fair bit of cash, or a good credit background there are places here in the US that offer JAA ATPL, lots of experience (250 - 1500hrs) & FAA licences. The key word here is Internship, as this sidesteps alot of the Visa problems.

I can only give advice from the US side of the pond, as I'm a Brit working here and know very little of UK or European FTOs.

Write me an email if you're interested...

FlyingForFun
6th Mar 2003, 09:43
Freak,

Exactly the same situation as you. A few years older, but decided, with about 60 hours, to take the leap and go for a commercial license. The big difference was I was fortunate enough to be offered voluntary redundancy at exactly the right time, and used my money to fund my hour-building. Now up to 230 hours, passed all the ATPL exams, and looking into doing the CPL later this year, with the IR next year. Feel free to e-mail me for advice/info if you want - or I might post more details on this thread when I've got a bit more time to spare.

Good luck!

FFF
---------------