PDA

View Full Version : Flight Examiner Rating Requirements

4th Mar 2003, 12:35
Would anyone know if, under JAR, a FI without the Instrument Restriction lifted would be authorised by the CAA to undertake an FE course? (and subsequently be issued with a FE authorisation).

Thanks

BEagle
4th Mar 2003, 17:28
See Standards Document 21.

You must hold an unrestricted FI Rating. But I'm not sure whether that means with the 'No applied instrument' restriction removed, or just 'not a FI(R) rating'? However, for the PPL Skill Test both IF and radio navigation are tested; hence I would suggest that you need to hold a FI Rating which includes instrument instruction qualification.

Certainly I know that a colleague of mine had to fly the relevant course and test to have the 'No Applied Instrument' restriction lifted before he was permitted to take his FE authorisation course............

DB6
4th Mar 2003, 17:42
2604, yes. I just did, although I haven't undergone the FE course yet, and I've also taken the instrument training course since then, but the CAA did approve my application with the restriction in place.
BEagle, the restriction referred to is the (R) not the other ones. The IF required for the PPL is just the 180 turn and can be taught by a restricted FI, who can also teach radio nav (in VMC of course). Tests for the IMC rating require an additional examiner auth.

BEagle
4th Mar 2003, 19:38
Thanks for the clarification, DB6.

I get the feeling though that the CAA are finally getting their act together with a FE database; then they'll review every new application on 'Do we need another FE in that location' consideration.

5th Mar 2003, 11:30
Thanks very much Beagle and DB6.

I guess I will have to apply now. I wish I could do the Applied Instrument course but it's quite a few quid...again! I know the FE application and course are not cheap either but it seems you get a bit more rewards (financially speaking).

I know what you mean BEagle about the CAA not delivering authorisations as easy as they use to. But I will be sponsored by an RTF where there is no examiner around so fingers crossed.

Thanks anyway

StrateandLevel
5th Mar 2003, 17:49
You may be interested to know that you do not need the applied IF restriction to be removed to teach on a CPL course which includes 10 hours dual IF instruction. It is not applied IF i.e. instrument approaches.

Incidentally the PPL dual IF requires a lot more than a 180 degree turn. It includes straight and level at various speeds; climbing and descending; standard rate turns; climbing and descending turns onto selected headings; and recoveries from climbing and descending turns.