PDA

View Full Version : change of course

aliturnbull
4th Mar 2003, 03:27
im going for a change of careers can any one put me straight on a few points is this the correct course & hours required to fly as an airline pilot
1=ppl min 45hrs

2=cpl 200hrs

3=frozen atpl after passing the theory test is any flying involved in the atpl or is it just written work

this would then allow you to be f/o in an airline gaining full atpl after 1500 hrs
& most importantly, am i to old to begin training at 36yrs ive read in a few places that you have very little chance of being employed by an airline after youre mid 30s is this the case do airlines really get away with blatant discrimination ( i certainly dont consider myself old at 36 ) i know i wouldnt get sponsored by them but i can & will fund it myself.if this is true thier mad to right people of at 35 .
any help much appreciated
aliturnbull

Evo
4th Mar 2003, 06:49
The best place to look for information is here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp

especially the "LASORS 2003 - LAS section" which will give you all the requirements in more detail than you ever wanted :)

The fATPL does require more flying, as you need to add an Instrument Rating to the CPL (done with ATPL theory exams of course). The airlines will expect the IR to be done on a multi-engined aeroplane, so you'll need the MEP rating too. Think I've got that right, although someone is bound to correct me... ;)

The Wannabes forum is probably the best place to look for more information on age-related issues. I'm sure it has been done by people older than you, but it is less common.