PDA

View Full Version : Is IMC to be cancelled ?

Gipsy
3rd Mar 2003, 13:30
Has any-one heard about the upcomming cancellation of the IMC rating ?
There is no point in getting it if the CAA is going to stop the issuing of IMC ratings next year.

If there is any links to where I might find some info on the subject please post them. I´ve searched the CAA site but it doesn´t say.

Thanks

Gipsy

Leclairage
3rd Mar 2003, 16:24
Hi Gypsy - This one seems to be on-off-on-off on a regular basis. I believe that CAA really dont like it, and are reviewing it on an ongoing basis......
Not much to go on there but the 'they are going to cancel it next year' rumour bounces up every so often.

Part of the catch seems to be that PPL's who are not really in practise with the rating take off into it and fly long distances, instead of using it to get them back home if the weather goes bad which was, I believe, its original purpose.

As I understood it, the original plane was to EXTEND its cover so that would increasingly be able to use it on the European mainland, but I am not aware of any progress in that direction.

twistedenginestarter
3rd Mar 2003, 16:35
I've always thought all non-professional pilots in the UK should go for the IMC. It's quite cheap and it's more-or-less an IR in content. Good for safety. It will be a bit of a shame if it goes although I don't know whether many people bother with it.

tmmorris
3rd Mar 2003, 17:05
Personally I think it would be a disaster if it went - not just because I have my IMC rating test coming up on Thursday... ;)

Unless the IR can be made easier (i.e. cheaper) to obtain, more like the FAA IR, the result will be a huge bunch of people scud-running on bad days, and far more emergency diversions and precautionary landings from people caught out (or a rise in the number of busts for flying in IMC when not rated).

Tim

Flyin'Dutch'
3rd Mar 2003, 17:36
Nah

This is something which is a recurring myth in the GA world.

If they had wanted to get rid of it they would have used the JAR implementation.

I dont think there are any statistics to suggest that those with an IMC fall out of the sky more often than those without.

Most pilots I think use it as additional training but dont actually fly hard IMC with it.

Go and do the test and enjoy yourself.

FD

Avoiding Action
3rd Mar 2003, 17:59
Nice title to the thread though - thought you were looking for someone with a direct line to 'him upstairs', who could eliminate cloud and poor visibility for ever...

A VFR man like me can only dream....:cool: ;)

AA

Hansard
3rd Mar 2003, 18:53
twisted,

I have to strongly disagree with your comment that the IMC rating is "more-or-less an IR in content"

englishal
3rd Mar 2003, 19:40
Its not a case of the JAA IR being 'easier to obtain' as anyone who could obtain an IMC could obtain an IR, but a case of it being cheaper and more realistic to obtain and maintain.....10 grand minimum is a heafty wad to fork out for a piece of paper....

I'd like to see the IMC rating abolished, and replaced with a Europe wide 'private' IR which allows flight in airways etc...There seems to be so much confusion with the IMC rating, what you can and can't do, what ATC provide and what they don't, you're IFR but not really etc......

Cheers
EA:D

rustle
3rd Mar 2003, 20:01
englishal

"...and replaced with a Europe wide 'private' IR which allows flight in airways etc..."

Like a PPL/IR you mean :p

Fuji Abound is on the case and I expect great things from him soon...

When he's finished with that, he's going to sort out the ludicrous overcrowding of various parts of the (L)TMA so we can whizz right over the top of Heathrow rather than going around the outside. Then AIS are going to relaunch their website with free and easy access to NOTAMS and AIP online.

Then, as I understand it, we're going to abolish any/all requirements for Mode S, plow all avgas tax into GA services and infrastructure and convince the 24 miserable airports that haven't yet agreed to allow free emergency diversions for GA aircraft in trouble. (Charles Strasser's [AOPA] campaign, to get all airfields to accept CAA CAP 667 9.2(c) recommendation and not to charge GA aircrafts making emergency or precautionary landings) I assume you know which 24 won't help??!!

Not much of a wish list :D

Fly Stimulator
3rd Mar 2003, 21:42
Well, while he's at it could I have a glass-cockpit SR-22 for local bimbling and a modest executive jet for the more far-flung lunch opportunities?

And a Cub for fun.

Please? ;)

Rod1
3rd Mar 2003, 21:45
The IMC makes you much safer in the UK. If you fly a lot the unpredictable weather will one day put you in a position where it is much safer to climb up and sit on top than it is to scud run. With the IMC this can be done legally.

There have been endless debates on the IMC on this forum. Some say it is for getting you out of trouble, others use it to fly pre planned IFR legs. I think the accident statistics for people holding the qualification are quite low. It is also very common to read of a non-IMC pilot getting into trouble and signing up for the training the next day.

I do not think the CAA can abolish the qualification without extensive consultation with AOPA, PFA, PPL/IR. The new European body will be taking over from the CAA for most things in the near future, but I think they will have their hands full for some time and the UK IMC will not be their priority.

Go do, it will make your flying much more accurate and the knowledge gained could save your life…

Holloway
4th Mar 2003, 11:33
Been reading this thread and havent quite got the jist of it. Does it mean if they get rid of IMC I wont be able to climb above the clouds because there will be no qualification to do this??

bluskis
4th Mar 2003, 14:19
The IMC rating has been in existence for approx 35 years.

Be grateful for it, don't abuse it and more importantly don't knock it.

GA has enough to defend without the scoring of own goals by pilots with narrow minds.

Doghouse
4th Mar 2003, 22:58
IMHO, the CAA's greatest rating.

Cheap(er than an IR), no difficult ground exams, incredibly useful, confidence and competence building - and could just save you.

Can't see them getting rid of it.

Blue Rotor Ronin
4th Mar 2003, 23:07
imc rating is lifesaver to ppl, ir is bread and butter to pro's.
don't confuse get out of jail free card with do not pass go.:cool:

Ludwig
5th Mar 2003, 07:35
The IMC is the best money I have spent on post PPL training so would not want to see it go, but what about this:

Incorportate all the IMC stuff into the basic PPL, make it say a 65 hour min course so that across JAA land every new PPL holder gets to use IMC style privileliges anywhere in JAA airspace.

For those that do not want this level of skill, the NPPL perhaps specific to each country.

For those that want to fly full class A type IR or big stuff, the commercial licences as at present.

That way the IMC would effectivley be enshrined in european law, all new PPLs would be better trained and less likley to get into problems due to the unpredictable N European wx, and those who for whatever reason would not currently bother with an IMC can still opt out via NPPL.

Stroke of genius :=

Aussie Andy
5th Mar 2003, 08:00
Top idea Ludwig!

FlyingForFun
5th Mar 2003, 08:21
Doghouse,IMHO, the CAA's greatest ratingCan't see them getting rid of it.Are those two supposed to be related in any way? This is the CAA we're talking about.

FFF
--------------