PDA

View Full Version : Understanding the JAA PPL licensing rules.

GroundBound
3rd Mar 2003, 12:29
I have a UK issued JAA-PPL which needs to be revalidated for the first time, this year. The UK documentatation just says I have to have my log book hours certified by an examiner. Does this have to be a UK approved examiner, or can it be an approved examiner of any JAA country?

If its an examiner in a JAA country, what notification has to be sent to the UK SRG?

UK SRG are too inaccesible to answer the question. My previous enquiries on other subjects just result in an information document which doesn't cover my question.

Are there any FIs out there who can help?

Cheers :D

GB

StrateandLevel
3rd Mar 2003, 21:07
You have two options:

a. you must either have 12 hours flying in the12 months preceeding the valid until date (expiry) to include:

6 hours PIC
1 hour Dual Instruction signed by a JAA instructor
12 take offs and landings

or

b. pass a licencing proficiency check with an examiner in the 3 months preceeding expiry.

Both a) and b) must be signed up in your licence by a JAA Examiner who completes LST/LPC form SRG1119 http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1119Iss6.pdf
and sends a copy to the CAA. In theory it could be signed by any JAA examiner however, they will not necessarily have the correct form or know where to send it.

You can revalidate by experience at any time in the 12 months preceeding expiry and get another 24 months starting from the expiry date.

If you go one day over, the rating expires and you have to take a Skill Test to get it back. The content of the Skill Test is exactly the same as the Proficiency Check at b.

Details in LASORS section F1:http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_F.pdf

GroundBound
4th Mar 2003, 10:57
S&L ,
Many thanks for the reply and the reference to the documents.

It is my intention to revalidate my licence by experience, by applying the rules described in the LASORs - but that's where I have encountered the problem.

It is stated that the 1-hour training flight by an FI can be *any* JAR approved FI. The certificate of revalidation page must also be signed by an examiner, however, it does not state EXPLICITLY that it is a JAR approved examiner (which it does for the FI).

This was the critical point of my question - I am concerned that the UK only accepts UK approved examiners.

As you so rightly point out, the administration part also bothers me - does a JAA examiner of another JAA state have the right forms and know who to notify.

Does a JAA examiner know and expect to be able to revalidate licences for any JAA member state? (I thought that was the idea of JAA).

In your reply, you used the term JAA Examiner - was this from specific knowledge/experience/qualifications?

StrateandLevel
4th Mar 2003, 20:33
If you look at JAR-FCL 1.005 (a) (2) it states that all licences ratings, authorisations and approvals mentioned in JAR-FCL are those issued in accordance with JAR-FCL. This therefore means examiners must be approved in accordance with JAR-FCL.

The examiner must hold an authorisation issued by a JAA State, in the UK this was initially achieved by existing examiners studying JAR-FCL and JAR-OPS and signing a declaration.

The UK will accept a SRG1119 signed by an examiner approved in other JAA States. Some States do not, it rather depends upon the laws of the State. If you download the form from the web, the examiner will complete it and either you or the examiner can send it to the address on the form.

GroundBound
5th Mar 2003, 07:40
S&L
great news, many thanks :O

GB