PDA

View Full Version : Liability- Who Pays Nats or You?

unwise
1st Mar 2003, 21:33
I saw the thread about insurance and it leads me nicely onto this question:

I hear that an injury was caused as a result of ATC error at LACC and litigation is on the cards- Most conclude system error. The controller involved has asked management for clarification that Nats Insurance will cover any costs and damages associated with the claim. As yet worryingly, Nats have not come forth with any such confirmation.
Does this then imply that we are putting our families and livelihood on the line every time we plug in?
Could you afford to carry the cost of any action that may result whilst you are exercising the privileges of your license? Remember they don't have to collide to result in a claim!

Just Passing Another Moment...... :eek:

1st Mar 2003, 21:45
Depends on who they prosecute; if they prosecute you then you are liable and they prosecute NATS then the company is liable.

In your post you use the word "litigation"; this would imply a civil rather than criminal action, in which case they're almost certain to go for NATS, as the company (almost certainly) has deeper pockets than you!

Loki
1st Mar 2003, 21:50
One would imagine an out of court settlement would be urgently sought. Could be embarrassing otherwise.

5milesbaby
2nd Mar 2003, 23:01
Whilst being so very VERY vague, you do have a point. I have never seen anything relating to what I am covered for, so the fact that I do my job and it may not be good enough, NATS are to blame for giving me the license in the first place (and continue to renew it every year), therefore they are to cover any costs incurred during my misuse of it. However I know all too well that if the silage catches the big turny blades, they'll probably finally unlock the door for me.........