PDA

View Full Version : Photocopied approach plates. Legal?

Agaricus bisporus
1st Mar 2003, 15:21
Talking Europe here; is the use of copied plates acceptable or legal?

Clearly on individual instances the use of a copy might be the only way to get home, but if a company uses copies extensively, or even routinely is this Kosher?

purr
1st Mar 2003, 15:50
I think a photocopied plate should have the words 'FOR TRAINING ONLY ' written on it.

Hand Solo
1st Mar 2003, 16:09
I don't know if there'd be a problem regarding the use of the copies for navigation purposes but I reckon there'd be a major copyright problem with the original producers of the plates. I suspect Jeppesen or Thales would be seriously unimpressed if a customer was routinely photocopying their products to avoid paying for them.

Pilot Pete
1st Mar 2003, 16:59
When I did my I.R. at Oxford my instructor told me that photocopied plates were illegal for IFR flight. I think it was on the basis that if you (or your organisation) are not subscribers to Aerad or Jepps there was no control over updates of 'photocopies'. You could argue that you would always photocopy the latest plate before use I suppose, but then again you still have the copyright issue mentioned above.

PP

411A
1st Mar 2003, 17:26
AOPA has an online service that includes an airport directory. Part of that directory are charted approach procedures, DP's, STARS, etc for the concerned airport. Updated every 56 days on a regular schedule. Print at home/office and presto...legal approach charts.

$39 per year....and a lot cheaper the Jeppesen.

If not done in the UK/Europe, suspect there would be at least a dozen regulations preventing same. Backward thinking.:rolleyes:

dolly737
1st Mar 2003, 18:59
From an aeronautical point of view, it’s totally irrelevant whether you are using originals or copies, as long as they are current. I believe you could even use a hand-drawing as long as it has all the official and current information on it - and still be legal.

When using “unofficial” documentation, such as Jeppesen, you should note that their liability for any claim resulting from inaccurate information is VERY limited, usually to the price of the Manual (if you screw up based on official government plates, you may receive a much higher compensation).

The copyright issue is a different one and might get you into serious trouble, especially if you are operating commercially.

happy landings

RatherBeFlying
2nd Mar 2003, 02:37
A commercial operator may have purchased the right to make a limited number of photocopies. This is a common arrangement in many fields.

But why photocopy these days when you can print from an online service?

swish266
2nd Mar 2003, 11:41
I'd rather u don't show your Jep copies if u get a visit from German DCA in FRA.

mad_jock
3rd Mar 2003, 14:32
I did my IR using photocopys and the examiner also had a copy.

But we did have a full set of originals with us.

And i must admit that when i need a plate i usually just print it out from the AIP CD rom which is 100% legal and for 70ukp proberly one of the best and cheapest update services out there. And if you don't want the CD rom you can pull them off there web site for free.

MJ

atb1943
7th Mar 2003, 00:29
Dolly737 has hit the nail on the head, but I doubt hand-drawn charts would pass muster on a CAA check.

Photocopies of originals are certainly a copyright matter, and full-scale use of photocopied material on revenue flights could become a legal issue.

With the introduction of electronic charting you are using copies printed out at home, which you can even print in A4 size. The quality is often better than the originals too, plus the fact that terrain and water can be reproduced in colour using the appropriate equipment.

At the expense of the moderator considering it advertising I sincerely recommend reading up on the subject at

http://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/index.jsp?section=resources&content=publications_aopa.jsp

Jim's articles are brilliant (IMHO)

cheers

Captain Stable
7th Mar 2003, 13:37
I believe that photocopying plates is not necessarily illegal if the photocopied material is not, in effect, replacing the original.

For example, if a private pilot owned a fully paid-up copy of Jepps but, instead of taking originals with him, photocopied the originals for a home-made trip kit and left the originals behind, then there is no breach of copyright.

Flying Lawyer (or another paid-up legal eagle) would be able to advise better - but that's my understanding.

Agaricus bisporus
9th Mar 2003, 23:45
If the landing light bulb fails you can't just slap in a 75 cent automotive part even though it is totally and absolutey identical to the (approved) $15 "aerospace" part.

You can't hand the CAA inspector a photocopied licence or medical on a ramp check.

You can't fill up with home-brewed fuel.

You can't carry a photocopy instead of of the Tech log.

You can't use a car mechanic as an Engineer.

All these are substitutes for the "real thing".

You can't operate with some civvy "faking it" as Captain, can you?

So how the heck does anyone justify operating with copies of plates or charts? How can it be legal?

Prehaps the DFS see it so, but what about the others?

dolly737
10th Mar 2003, 07:52
Agaricus bisporus:

..because all of your scenarios are explicitely illegal in most countries.

To be absolutely sure about charts, consult the regulations of the respective country. If it’s not illegal, it’s legal!

You may find some guidance about it in JAR-OPS 1:

1.125 Documents to be carried:
(a) An operator shall ensure that the following documents OR COPIES thereof are carried on each flight:
(1) Certificate of Registration
(2) Certificate of Airworthiness
(3) Noise Certificate (if applicable)
(4) Air Operator Certificate
(5) Aircraft Radio License; and
(6) Third party liability Insurance Certificate(s)

(b) Each flight crew member shall on each flight. carry a valid flight crew licence with appropriate rating (s) for the purpose of the flight.

JAR-OPS 1.290. Flight preparation:

(7) Current maps. charts and associated documents OR EQUIVALENT DATA are available to cover the intended operation of the aeroplane including any diversion which may reasonably be expected:

happy landings