PDA

View Full Version : Career in ATC?

Busterplane
1st Mar 2003, 08:55
Hi

If this is a much chewed over topic, I appologise its my first time in this forum.

I currently hold an ATPL(A) and am seriously considering a change of career. ATC seems a logical progression although despite 10 years as a commercial pilot, suprise(not), what I know about training requirements is next to negligable.

How long would I have to train in order to get a workable qualification and what are the realistic career prospects and salary with an entry level qualification?

OK so its a poacher turned gamekeeper scenario but any help would be appreciated.

OscarTango
3rd Mar 2003, 11:56
sorry, but if you have a ATPL for more then 10 years, you've probably exceeded the qualifiaction age. At least for Eurocontrol..if that was one of your options... I don't know about NATS. Not happy flying anymore ?:confused:

Gonzo
3rd Mar 2003, 12:47
NATS will overlook the age limit (27 at the moment?) if you have 'relevant aviation experience'.

Gonzo.

FWA NATCA
4th Mar 2003, 21:31
Busterplane,

First of all I know a former poacher that became a game warden or as we call them Department of Natural Resources Officer.

As for transitioning into ATC, give it a try, I know many pilots who are controllers, several with commerical tickets, and several that are still actively flying charters, and/or cargo as well as controlling traffic.

Mike
NATCA FWA

Barnaby the Bear
5th Mar 2003, 08:33
If you go to the NATS website, www.NATS.co.uk. They have thier entry requirements, and a brief overview of the courses on offer.
Good luck :}

Smoke me a kipper
6th Mar 2003, 14:08
NATS will overlook your age provided that you have some Aviation background. The best way to check would be to speak to the recruitment section. I can dig out a number for them if you wish!

The starting salary works out to about the equivalent of £25k gross a year, which is broken down as £19k salary plus a accomodation payment of £100 per week which is tax free.

The course length depends on wheter you become an Tower, Approach, or Area Controller and is between 12 months and 18 months long plus training at a unit to get a validation which can take between 6 months till well...... a few years!! Its a long process but worth it!!

Good Luck

Andrew M
6th Mar 2003, 22:43
Hi all,

I was at the SECC careers fair in Glasgow, Scotland because NATS had a stand there.

According to the info booklet I received from NATS, they are looking for people within the 18-30 age range (at time of application).

Also: * You must have 5 or more GCSE's or equivalent

* Have completed a course through to examination period at a higher level (such as A levels / Highers / final year of degree)

* Be eligible to work within the UK

MORE NATS INFO:

Their telephone number is: 0207832 5555
E-mail: [email protected]

Hopefully see you in Bournemouth !!!

NickM
13th Mar 2003, 08:44
If you have aviation experience Eurocontrol will take you on if you are 27 or under.

blondie118
16th Mar 2003, 21:19
Well if I can get into ATC with 3 A-levels in art and design then you should have no problem at all!

The training at the college is to change soon, to my knowledge, but when I left last march I completed 12 months training to become an approach controller. The area course is 18 months I believe.

With your experience you have a very good shot at it.

All the best if you decide to go ahead!!

:)

Barnaby the Bear
17th Mar 2003, 09:50
BLONDIE118. .....I take it this means you were on course 118.......<trying to work out who you are?>:}