PDA

View Full Version : WARNING - To anyone considering flying training in the USA

G SXTY
28th Feb 2003, 22:20
Having got through the fiasco at Naples Air Center (see existing thread for chapter & verse) I managed to switch to another school in Naples - only for them to be told to stop operating, by the same people and for the same reason.

When looking at possible schools to train with, be sure to ask them what is their position with regard to insurance of their employees. Specifically, would they have sufficient cover to remain in business if the State of Florida decided to pay them a visit?

It would appear that the government is having a purge of FTOs (in Naples at the moment, but no doubt across Florida in due course, and possibly even countrywide). Whether this is heavy-handed bureaucracy stifling free enterprise, or schools getting caught out trying to exploit loopholes in employment legislation, I neither know nor care. It’s academic.

What you absolutely must be aware of is that the government has the power (and the will) to shut down FTOs at a moment’s notice. If it happens to your school, you may be lucky and find somewhere else to train, or you may not.

At best, your flying programme will be seriously disrupted and you will be doing a lot less flying than you expected. At worst, you may have no option but to cut your losses and take the next flight home.

My plan was to do a quick FAA PPL flight test (not having had time to convert my JAA licence) then hours build for a couple of weeks, coming back with another 50 hours or so. One week in, I have incurred approx $2,600 costs and flown a whopping 3 hours 50 minutes. P/UT. In a C-150. Do the sums, consider the risks, and ask yourself very carefully whether the USA, at the present time, is really your best option.

(BRL – I’ve posted this in Wannabes as well)