PDA

View Full Version : V1 = Vr...

Localiser Green
27th Feb 2003, 08:25
Simple question really, when V1 = Vr is the "Vee One" call omitted and just "Rotate" called by the PNF @ the combined speed.

I have heard some people say that it is, and some say that it isn't and instead "Vee One, Rotate" is announced all at once?

Thanks.

Dragon Knight
27th Feb 2003, 08:32
I would say

"Vee One, Rotate" is announced all at once

to keep the "mental" trickers intact.

Notso Fantastic
27th Feb 2003, 09:32
The BA way (which is the right way of course) is simply to annunciate 'Rotate'. If you have briefed and are both aware V1=Vr, there is no need to say both.

ETOPS
27th Feb 2003, 09:46
Notso

That's OK on your tired old 747 but the super shiny 777 calls V1 automatically so NHP calls "rotate" as well.

wandrinabout
27th Feb 2003, 09:52
Our SOP - "V1, rotate"

Works fine, and personally, it is that call I am waiting for to announce we have reached the 'Go' speed.
If I didn't get it and just heard "rotate", then that is another thought process I dont need at that particular time.

On the other hand, if our procedure was the other way, and I got the call I was expecting, then no drama.

Just stick to the procedure for your op's. If there is nothing laid down, then a pre brief before, as mentioned earlier.

Pilot Pete
27th Feb 2003, 20:50
Stick to what the SOP's say. If they don't say, speak to the Chief Training Captain and get it from the horses mouth. Point out if need be that the lack of direction in the Ops Manual is leading to differences amongst crews and that will probably be enough for a 'flight crew notice' to be issued fairly promptly.

PP

PifPaf
2nd Mar 2003, 03:25
SOP in my company is to call both.

And an explanation: from Boeing acft manuals, when V1 equals Vr, the correct procedure is to reduce V1 by 1 Kt. From my point of view, that's one more reason to call "vee one, rotate".

Best regards,

PifPaf

"See you in my HUD!"

TE RANGI
2nd Mar 2003, 06:38
If memory serves me well, Boeing recommendation is to simply call "Rotate" (FCTM).

However, Airbus procedure is to call out "Vee one - Rotate".

For once, and this may be the sole exception, I'd rather prefer the Bus procedure.

Rgrds

Pilot Pete
2nd Mar 2003, 10:15
It just shows how company SOPs can vary wildly even when flying the same a/c! I have flown the 757 for 3 airlines, 4 in a week or two and they all say 'V1, Rotate'. There are arguments both ways but I must say I prefer the method that keeps everything as standard as possible, just like acceleration altitudes - I like the companies that have us accelerating at the same altitude on two engines as on one, again arguments both ways but I find it easier to remember that way.

Another example is altimiter cross checks. My current company 3 different calls for checking the altimiters on the ground and in flight! There are very few pilots who get the calls exactly right every time! Standardisation? I dunnow, when challenged one training captain told me that the calls were that way to distinguish between on the ground and in the air:rolleyes: !

PP