PDA

View Full Version : What/Where is 'Neptune'

terryJones
26th Feb 2003, 20:57
Probably a stupid question, especially to those who know the answer, but I have heard reference to Neptune on several occasions. I assume it is some sort of reporting point, but where.
A search on Google gives nothing(Except of course reference to the well known sea god) I thought this may the the best place to get a meaningful reply. Thanks in anticipation:rolleyes:

Red Four
26th Feb 2003, 22:00
I stand to be corrected, but I thought Neptune was the the point on the FIR boundary between U.K. and Amsterdam FIRs, when on a direct track from East Midlands to Schipol?

Hippy
27th Feb 2003, 10:57
It's a really good question, and Red Four is correct, but... how do we know?

I know it's there, because at Lon Mil we use it on a daily basis. Crews from BMI, KLM UK and few others know it is there, because they use it to get in & out of Schiphol, but I've never seen it marked on any chart or mentioned in any documents (other than localy produced), so how would anybody not in the know find it?

approx position is N52 32 E002 50

Hippy.

Grotehaasje
27th Feb 2003, 21:48
Waypoint is Neptu. From memory it is 282R/72 from SPL.

Appears on STAR, not on airway chart.

OscarTango
28th Feb 2003, 09:21
I'm not 100 percent sure, but I believe MC16 is the exact same point...point where the militaries start/end crossing the AMS UIR...

Captain Stable
28th Feb 2003, 09:34
Grotehaasje has it right. Appears on the AMS plates but not on the airways charts.

Hippy
28th Feb 2003, 10:00
Oscar Tango - MC16 is about 1 or 2 miles North East of NEPTU.

Georgeablelovehowindia
28th Feb 2003, 10:13
NEPTU is on the Volla SIDs from Schiphol at SPL 282/72d or N52 31.00 E002 48 93. That's on the London/Amsterdam FIR boundary, approximately midway between REDFA and BLUFA. It doesn't seem to feature on any of the STARS.
(I can say so with some authority because I've recently amended an Aerad flight guide with a seventy sheet amendment, printed both sides, for Schiphol. This is due to the introduction of the new 18R/36L, effective 20 Feb 03, it says. Dear old SPL, always good for another Pine forest.)

As NEPTUNE, I think it came into being around 1978 as a direct track handover point for Air Anglia F27s on the Norwich - Amsterdam route.

dmdrewitt
28th Feb 2003, 10:32
Its on the Jeppesen E(LO) 1 chart

Defined here as 060 radial from Clackton VOR (CLN) at 75 DME.

N52 31.0
E002 48.9

(and also SPL RAD 282/ D72)

A Very Civil Pilot
3rd Mar 2003, 18:08
On the KLMuk NWI-AMS flights we get an entry into Dutch airspace at NEPTU. As it isn't a recognized entry point, in order to get the clearance, we have to call London Info (along with all the light a/c giving position reports) to ask them to call Amsterdam to obtain it.

terryJones
6th Mar 2003, 13:19
I would just like to thank all of you that have replied to my question. THANKS
The reason for the question is just that I have a scanner radio, and have heard it refered to many many times. At least now I can form a better mental picture of where the A/c may be in relationship to me. (Who knows, I may have heard one of you posters talking about 'Neptune')
Once again Thank You.

niknak
9th Mar 2003, 16:18
It disapered from the en route and airways charts a couple of years ago, largely because airlines saw it as handy way of getting round UK flow control restrictions.
If they had filed to go to Amsterdam via airways and got a significant slot delay, they would simply refile to route via NETPU which, being outside UK controlled airspace, was not subject to flow measures.
As has already been stated, it is used, strictly by agreement with the Dutch ATC authorities, only by BMA, KLM UK and a limited number of other approved operators. The vast majority of other aircraft operators would have to be vectored to it if asked to route there.

Sadly, NEPTU goes forever as result of the UK/Dutch airspace reorganisation :( , on the 20th March 2003, and will be replaced by a new reporting point MOLIX- which I belive is not quite in the same place.

A wake and memorial service will be held at DOGGA, on the 19th March 2003, starting at 2000 utc. Entry by ticket only. :ok:

EGCC Rwy 24
10th Mar 2003, 17:28
At the risk of being chastised for flagrant self-promotion, my site will tell you a bit about both NEPTU (http://www.nicklocke.co.uk/Points/PointDetail.asp?Point=NEPTU) and MOLIX (http://www.nicklocke.co.uk/Points/PointDetail.asp?Point=MOLIX).

Whilst we are about it, I would welcome any information from anyone (anecdotal or not) that might further the history that is available on the site (http://www.nicklocke.co.uk/Points).

Thanks.