PDA

View Full Version : Scottish - Low Level RIS on 126.25?

Mister Geezer
26th Feb 2003, 20:04
I am wondering if a nice person from Scottish could clarify what your stance is on calling up for a radar service on 126.25 when you are just within the boundary for the freq - I have been tempted to use 124.5 instead, since on a Saturday the poor controller on 126.25 seems to be controlling the whole of the FIR/UIR north of 57N! I get the impression that a better frequency could be used since I was once the only traffic below FL250 and probably the only aircraft doing less than M0.8 - a light piston single seems a bit out of place! Classic example is going from PE - PD at 5000 ft (for example) and you are just within the boundary for 126.25 but I would still be within radar cover and indeed R/T range for 124.5. Which frequency is better for you chaps?

Ending on a rather jolly note I have been told of aircraft on 126.25 being cleared to BOLIX and GONAD. Great names but which clever wag has the great job of making up these silly fixes? I presume they are used for oceanic entry?

Cheers

Findo
27th Feb 2003, 10:44
Mr Geezer. Unfortunately we can't just give a service anywhere. If you call on the frequency of you "choice" and you are outside the area of responsibility for the sector then you will be transferred to the right frequency for the area.

PE - PD. Yes it is right on the sector dividing line but PD and QS have excellent radar coverage and can provide RAS where ScACC can only provide RIS.

124.5 is about to get a lot busier after the airspace changes on 19th / 20th March so if it is not a primary task you might not be offered a radar service at all in some areas.

Mister Geezer
27th Feb 2003, 18:33
Thanks for the info Findo!

I was making the assumption that QS were shut for business hence the call to Scottish. If QS were open then obviously I would call them. I just thought that having an aircraft at very low level might be a nuisance for you guys when most of the other traffic on the frequency are in the UIR (i.e 126.25 during quiet periods) yet on another frequency the controller is usually dealing with aircraft below FL235 (i.e 124.5).

ayrprox
28th Feb 2003, 10:52
MR G we have had problems with low level coverage of 126.25 with a/c far away from the transmitters but i'd not heard of problems on the route you mention. 124.5 is worked by a controller covering from inverness and stornoway all the way down to newcastle below 245. 126.25 is put with 133.67 when its quiet and both are sfc upwards. If QS are unable to provide a service then by all means call us but be aware that the frequency is due to change in the near future to another (I Think 133.87 but i might be wrong, I'm sure it will be well distributed). Generally speaking the person on 126.25 will give you a service but it may only be a FIS if we are busy

Mister Geezer
28th Feb 2003, 18:19
ayrprox, thanks for the correction. I should of said FL245 in my previous post and not FL235! Thank you for your help and suggestions! Points noted :)