PDA

View Full Version : Headphones and wearing glasses

proxus
26th Feb 2003, 00:43
I remember a problem I had the last time I flew ( some time ago )
I had just before bougt a pair of sunglasses ( specially made with some kind of image enhancing glass/lenses )

They were great, I could see the outlines of the clouds better and probably would have seen other traffic aswell.

My problem was though, they unsealed the cover that earcup of my headphone provided. I was hearing much more of the surrounding noise that I was trying to get rit of.

Do you know what I'm talking about and is there any solution to
this problem ?

Kind regards

Proxus

parris50
26th Feb 2003, 04:13
I know this problem although for me it is not at all a serious one. Dave Clarke make seals that slide over the arms of the sunglasses which are supposed to plug the gap. They didn't work for me but you might have better luck. They cost about £5.

FlyingForFun
26th Feb 2003, 09:11
You can also try the complete headset from David Clarke - they have gel-filled ear-pads (I think they supply these with most, if not all, of their headsets now) which fit over my glasses perfectly.

FFF
------------

maggioneato
26th Feb 2003, 09:47
I tried the glasses seals mentioned,dumped them after the first flight. Have found the best way is to choose glasses with as thin as possible arms, rather than the thicker plastic ones which I had to start with. :D

MaximumPete
26th Feb 2003, 09:51
Thin armed glasses work for me.

MP

charlie-india-mike
26th Feb 2003, 10:02
Thin arm glasses and Gel ear seals work ok for me.

C-I-M

proxus
26th Feb 2003, 11:35
I can see it now that my problem is that the arm is to thick.

Thanks

Proxus;)

Intruder
26th Feb 2003, 15:35
Another option (though not cheap) is lightweight, over-the-ear headphones with active noise reduction. Bose and Sennheiser have sold them for a while; others may have them now.

Onan the Clumsy
28th Feb 2003, 22:39
Not that it hasn't been said already, but thin armed glasses - Serengetti's are good and gel, not foam pads on the cups. Also useful are cloth covers for the ear cups as you'd be surprised how much your ears sweat (unles it's just me :O )

Try putting the bits of the sunglasses that go over your ears about an inch higher than you normally would, so that they just get held in place by the very top of the gel ear seal. This'll help the seal and it'll make things a LOT more comfortable.

A while ago they used to sell glasses that didn't have the temple (side) pieces. Instead, they had a loop of fishing line or something. The idea being that this was thinner than the thinnest thin sun glasses that had been on a diet for a week and had then run a marathon. Not seen those for sale for a while though. Perhaps it was so thin that people started slicing off their ears. :eek: