PDA

View Full Version : Find the bomber game

Windy Militant
25th Feb 2003, 12:43
Whilst reading about the exploits of Sir Francis Chichister recently there was a list of books etc which the great man had written included in this list was a game called, if memory serves 'Find the Bomber.'Apparently this was developed as a training aid for Navigators during the war. I'm intrigued to know how it was played. Are there any of you PPruners out there have actually played the game? I know, I need to get out more, but I only get into mischief when I'm playing out;)

AirportsEd
25th Feb 2003, 16:04
Hi WM,
It's actually called 'Pinpoint The Bomber' and was published in 1942.
It was indeed partly a navigation training aid. I have to confess that I have never played the game, and I hadn't even heard of it until about a month ago when I saw a copy. The game is in fact three games in one, all aimed at different skill levels, ranging from one of pure chance, to one requiring map-reading, planning and deduction skills. A map covering from Kent to the Rhineland is included and the aim is to find and bomb your target in Germany.
Also included is a 40-odd page textbook of map-reading from an aircraft.
The General description says:
"Players who hope one day to become air navigators can learn more about the art and principles of map-reading from two hours with this game than from two hundred hours' air experience if untrained."
Doesn't really answer your question I know, but that's the best I can do..

Windy Militant
25th Feb 2003, 21:48
Thanks AirportsEd,
I borrowed the book from the library so I was working from memory. Now I have the correct title I may get some where.
;)