PDA

View Full Version : IFR pop-up clearance

englishal
24th Feb 2003, 23:42
How does one go about requesting an airborne IFR clearance in the UK? Is it just a simple request to the ATCU that I'm talking to, or if not talking to anyone, a request on first contact with say the destination aerodrome / approach control?

Example 1, say I left Plymouth in VMC bound for Bournemouth, but half way back the weather / visibility deteriorates, so I want to shoot the ILS at Bournemouth. In this case most of the flight is class G airspace and so no clearance is strictly nescessary, so what would you do, continue the flight and on first contact with Bournemouth approach request an IFR clearance into the zone? [assume that I didn't file for IFR in PLymouth]

Example 2, say I'm routing from L2K to Southampton, I leave L2K in VMC, however mid-channel I decide the weather is getting marginal, would I just request an IFR into SOU from London Info? or could I have filed a composite flight plan in L2K, indicating VFR up until mid-channel then IFR inbound to SOU [I am assuming IMC rating therefore not valid in France]?

Thanks in advance, most of the IFR flight I've done in the Uk has been on a flight plan...

Rgds
EA:D

2Donkeys
25th Feb 2003, 06:42
The examples are not particularly different.

Example 1)

You are outside controlled airspace, so you adjust your flight to comply with IFR (MSA and quadrantal as appropriate). On approach to Bournemouth controlled airspace, you call them up, announcing that you are inbound and requesting IFR zone entry (using appropriate phraseology). You will be cleared to enter the zone and the rest is straightforward.

Example 2)

Exactly the same thing applies. Since you have an IMC rating only, you must remain in VMC in France. Once in the UK FIR, you can adjust your flight to conform with IFR (MSA and level etc), and on approach to Southampton, its the same drill as above.

Note that in this second example, you will be on a flight plan (requirement for international flight). Since the wx ought to be predictable, and should you be capable of maintaining VMC in the French FIR, you will presumably file a composite plan, as you say. If the weather caught you out, then you can still "become" IFR in the UK FIR without having explicitly filed a composite plan. It is a matter of some indifference to ATC so long as you remain outside controlled airspace, and you are unambiguous in your status when you request entry to controlled airspace at Southampton to land.

englishal
25th Feb 2003, 19:17
Thanks for the clarification 2D, seems fairly straight forward.

Rgds
EA:D