PDA

View Full Version : NPPL and student eyesight/hearing

Doghouse
23rd Feb 2003, 22:05
I would be interested in anyone else's views.

I've had a couple of NPPL students now who I think have unacceptably poor eyesight and hearing.

On the eyesight front, both of them have failed to see aircraft that are more than just a dot; have consistently mis-set the altimeter, DI and throttle; missed things on the check list, can't set the transponder, etc.

For hearing, I almost have to shout instructions before they respond and they both seem to blame the radio when people are transmitting to them.

I wouldn't say I'm a very experienced instructor but I do have over 1000 instructional hours - so it's not one of those "oh well all students are like that; you just need a bit more experience" jobs. These two are worse than the norm.

I'm convinced they need eyesight and hearing tests but one refuses, saying he has met the medical requirements of his licence.

I'm working out a system for dealing with this. I refused to send one solo until he had his eyes tested - he did and there really is a marked difference in his flying (he even admits now that he couldn't read the altimeter!)

Anyone else had this problem?