PDA

View Full Version : Revalidating a PPL

Winston
23rd Feb 2003, 19:21
I have a current JAR ATPL and would like to revalidate my PPL.
I last flew a single in June 1998 and my last C of E was signed in July 1997. In the 13 months following 07/97 I flew 1 whole hour single time.
Do I just need to do a flight test with a PPL examiner or is much more complicated (and expensive)?

Cool_Hand
23rd Feb 2003, 20:05
Funny you should ask that, I'm in a similar position with my PPL, though I don't have the ATPL (yet).
Here's the response I received from one flying school:

If it has been between 5 and 10 years since your SEP rating expired you will require the following training for revalidation:

Dual flying training with a flying instructor (P/UT), which must include:

1. Discretional instruction in instrument flying.
2. Discretional instruction in pilot navigation.
3. Discretional instruction in the use of radio navigation aids.
4. One hour stall/spin awareness and avoidance training.

Pilot-in-Command (PIC) flying which must include:

1. One hour solo general handling exercises.
2. Four hours solo cross-country flying which must include one flight of 150 miles with two away landings.

Theoretical Knowledge to include exams in:

1. Aviation Law & Operational Procedures.
2. Human Performance & Limitations.

Finally you would need to pass a Skill Test.

I'd assume, though you'd need to ask, that your ATPL would cover the exams, and then you'd need to do a couple of hours plus skills test

A different school, basically said spend some time flying with an instructor: general handling, stalls etc. an oral exam on the aircraft and a skills test.

Hope that helps.

GoneWest
23rd Feb 2003, 20:41
Winston -

If the ATPL is current (as you say) - then it's just a PPL Renewal flight test.

Use this form (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1119Iss6.pdf) - complete section 2B - and give it to the nice people at Gatwick.

Examiner should keep a copy of this other form (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1157Iss2.pdf) .

Examiner signs licence renewal - immediate.

Cool Hand - you give fewer details!!

Most likely same as above but (if more than 5 years 'expired') form sent to CAA for THEM to sign licence renewal.

Enjoy the return to G.A.

Winston
23rd Feb 2003, 21:24
Thanks a lot guys. I'm really looking forward to doing a bit of "proper" flying again lets just hope i can remember how to do it!?

Oh, one other thing. When you say 5 years after the PPL expires does that mean 5 years since the last C of E was signed, 5 years after that C of E expires or 5 years since the last flight in a single? Never sure what the CAA REALLY mean!!!

StrateandLevel
23rd Feb 2003, 21:57
Cool Hand,

The information you have been given is rather out of date!

The ATPL privileges include PPL priviliges, so if one is valid, the other is. It is only the aircraft rating you are renewing.

To renew an expired SEP Class rating, all you have to do is pass the SEP Skill Test as indicated by Gone West. If it has expired by less than 5 years the examiner does it. Over 5 years it goes to Gatwick for signature.

All of the requirements for 5- 10 and 10 plus have gone, the same rules now apply however long it has expired.

Doghouse
23rd Feb 2003, 22:55
Winston, your situation is totally different to Cool Hand's.

For Winston, as the posts have indicated, it's just an SEP prof check with an examiner - provided you have a current ATPL. If your ATPL is still valid then the proficiency check is a simple procedure, but do practice your PFLs (practice forced landings) before you take the prof check as this will probably be the main area you're less proficient in. All the people I've examined in your situation have done a couple of hours training with an instructor and then taken the check - and all have been excellent.

Cool Hand, it sounds as if you have a lapsed PPL. In other words you don't have a current licence at all (Winston does but he does not have a class rating on it). The GID that you are quoting is indeed out of date (you should let your flying club know). The new requirements that the previous post correctly cites are contained in the LASORs book p. 129 (your flying club should have one or buy one from the CAA.) Note: if your licence is older than the CAA (ie one of the old 5 year licences), then believe it or not, you have to do the full PPL course again. For it to be so, you'd have to have done your PPL more than 30 odd years ago, but I've just retrained one poor chap in exactly that position - they even sent his application back saying he was 30 mins short of solo time; even though he had 800 hours and 150 twin time!

For both of you, the situation is very straight forward and shouldn't be at all expensive - I'd say the CAA/JAA have done a good job on this.

BeauMan
23rd Feb 2003, 23:00
Strateandlevel - you said:

"All of the requirements for 5- 10 and 10 plus have gone, the same rules now apply however long it has expired"

I last flew P1 on a PPL in late 94 and am looking at getting back into it - presumably the process as quoted by Cool_Hand applies in my case, or am I looking at starting again from scratch?

<edited to add...>

Doghouse - have just read your post, it appears my situation fits your description of a lapsed PPL. Thanks, it's a bit clearer now.