PDA

View Full Version : Jet fighter flight.

Dewdrop
23rd Feb 2003, 15:23
I'd like to experiance a flight in a Jet fighter or Jet trainer in the UK. What would my options be? a provest would be fun.

Bluebeard2
23rd Feb 2003, 18:15
A while back I did some digging on this very topic as this was something I contemplated. Whilst there a quite a few jet warbird groups in the UK there are very few who offer flights for paying punters.

I seem to recall a Jet Provost group at Gamston was offering 30 mins. flights for £500, which is a bit rich for my taste :eek: .If you are very flush you could consider doing a type conversion course, which I think Jet Heritage at Bournemouth might offer, but we are definitely talking megabucks here.

As ever, there's always the US, there's usually an ad for The JetWarbird Training Centre in the back of Pilot.

18greens
24th Feb 2003, 08:05
Funnily enough I don't think the US is cheaper for jet flying although you can simply rent, rather than need to find a friend with a jet.

In the UK find someone who owns a share in one and offer to fill the tanks for them in return for a flight. I know if I was checked out I'd happily take some cost sharers along, I hate flying alone, however the cost of becoming self authorising on a jet is significant.

The other option is to look at buying a share. Most reasonable groups will give a serious contender a flight before getting them to commit. Who knows you might like it and want to join. That is the point of a test drive.

Delta jets www.deltajets.com will give you a ride in one of their hunters if you join the club for £1500 which when you consider the running costs of a hunter (£800ish) per hour seems a good deal.

If I was to commit some money to a jet flight I'd do it in something interesting like the hunter. A provost is fun for the novelty of needing to wear a helmet and gro bag and you sit on top of a live seat. A JP3 however is not fast, its noisy, but not inspiring.

Drop me a message if you want to discuss.