PDA

View Full Version : cat II/cat III RVR minimums

bone
23rd Feb 2003, 08:50
on the 747-400,we operate to the following rvr minimums...

cat II: touchdown zone 300m,midzone and rollout advisory
cat IIIA:touchdown and midzone not less than 200m,rollout
advisory.
cat IIIB:all 3 zones not less than 100m

i would like to know why there is no requirement for midzone and rollout zone rvr in the case of a catII approach.

swish266
23rd Feb 2003, 14:15
Funny. If u r new to d company check someone else's manuals/AWOPS. Might be misspelled or misprinted. I've flown with 3 major a/l in the last 12 years, one in EUrope, one in Africa, one in F East and with all three mid RVR on a CAT II was mandatory.

bone
25th Feb 2003, 09:30
checked the books and no difference to the previous data.been with the outfit about 7 years.however i do remember that the A310-200/300 operates to 350m instead of 300m on the catII app.maybe its the certification process for the different types.anyone with other experience on other types of aircraft?

Miserlou
25th Feb 2003, 21:15
I thought you could only disregard those bits of the runway you didn't need. That is to say if the landing distance doesn't take you into the midzone or end.

That sounds a bit short for a '74. but I suppose as long as you can keep it straight, that's OK.

If you're doing a CAT ll in the first place the assumption must be that the RVRs are similar to the touchdown.

In other words, I don't know. Tell us another!

CaptSnails
26th Feb 2003, 04:06
I't because the pilot can use the LOC deviation bar for deceleration, same for aborted take off during LVP. We are trained to abort take off if you go into zero zero prior to V1 using as only referrence the LOC deviation bar, therefor the same principle applies for CAT II. You require the t/d zone for the landing but mid and roll out are not required, just advisory.
Can't say I agree with it but that's how it is.
Cheers
Snails

m&v
26th Feb 2003, 21:36
Canada,requires two transmissometers for a cat2 ops.
1200(A) 600'(B) Generally thought of a ICAO??
cheers

quid
27th Feb 2003, 14:39
Our Ops. Specs. (US 121 carrier) require the following:

CAT II - TDZ required and controlling, mid and/or rollout operative but not controlling.

CAT IIIa and b - TDZ and Mid range both required and controlling. Rollout advisory only.