PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Airforce

bigdog1971
23rd Feb 2003, 00:10
G'day all
I posted a thread a few months ago regarding flying jobs and immigration, the info that I recieved was very useful. I have now decided to try for the Canadian Air force.
Last week at the Avalon Airshow (Aus biggest Airshow) there was a CDF recruiting stand! I asked a few questions and was very happy with the options that would be avail to me.
I am currently a Australian Army Black Hawk Pilot, and have visited Canada a few times in the last 10 years.
I was informed that I would be able to keep my rank and flying pay level, (I have heard that the pay level is around $85k - is this correct?)
I would like to hear from CDF pilots so as to get a better feel for what I could be taking my family into. All the glossy pictures dont tell you the full story!
Also,is the housing that the CDF supplies of a good standard or are you better to buy your own home? I would be posted to a western area as I dont speak French.
Any info before I commit would be great

MLS-12D
24th Feb 2003, 16:28
Hello bigdog,

The Canadian air force is part of the Canadian Forces (CF). We don't call it the CDF (I guess because we want to keep our offensive options open!).

You can find a current pay scale at http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/html/careers/career_advantage/benifits.html

CF housing is generally not very good, although it depends upon the particular base.

Obviously you should get your terms of service in writing before you sign on the dotted line. A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on: particularly when you're dealing with a government.

bearcat88
24th Feb 2003, 17:07
Nothing is ever as good as it seems ... particularly when dealing with the government (see above) and also when dealing with the CF which is about as underfunded as is possible while still keeping the paint on the trucks but no gas in the tanks. The peolple are really excellent as a rule but the overtask/underfund stuation is not changing at any great rate of knots. Don't jump into this but rather walk at a conservative pace.
In any case. I did it for many years and don't regret one of them. Good luck and dress warm.

bigdog1971
24th Feb 2003, 19:24
12D - thanks for the reply, I had seen that pay table before in my past surfing, maybe you can explain who it works? I am a Capt now so its easy to find the capt pay level, but what do the numbers 1 - 10 on the top of the table mean? is this the number of years served required for that pay level?
Also the flying allowance is only 300 a month!!! thats not very good, am I missing somthing?
Thanks again
Bigdog

MLS-12D
25th Feb 2003, 14:22
The numbers refer to the person's "IPC" (incentive pay classification or category, I can't remember exactly). A brand new captain would be an IPC Basic (or 0), whereas someone with four years in rank would be an IPC 4. You get bumped from one IPC to the next automatically as the years pass (i.e., your IPC is not tied to performance reviews).

It used to be that there were only four IPCs per rank (i.e., 0-3), but they changed that approximately five years ago. The fact that there are so many IPCs for Captains and Majors should tell you something about the promotion blockages; I was a Captain from 1990 to 2001, when I finally figured that there was no hope of promotion (okay, I'm a bit slow) and got out.

I don't know what the current aircrew allowance is, but remember that in addition to that allowance, pilots have a significantly higher rate of pay than non-pilots.

brit bus driver
26th Feb 2003, 19:32
Bigdog,

About $85k (CDN) is about the top level for a senior captain plt in receipt of flying pay. As mentioned, MQs vary, but generally pretty shabby, in my limited experience. Remember, plts earn considerably more than fellow officers (drs/dentists/vicars & lawyers excepted) including other aircrew. Upside-this is pensionable pay; downside-you lose it when you are in a groundtour (but then it's not that much to start with).

Be v interested to hear how you get on. Might be keen to get me some of those gold stripes in the not too distant.....

Canuck Pilot
14th Mar 2003, 21:40
I have my Comm, Multi-IFR and am just curious if their are any tips out their into getting into the RCAF with regards to previous flight experience. I went through a diploma program with hopes of going through the CCEP program but it was closed as soon as I was eligible. Then tried to get in through the CEOTP program and was told I didn't need a aviation diploma, then was told I did the day of my interview, but I unfortunately was a few university credits short to receive the diploma( finished all of the flying and ratings though). Just finished writing a letter to my MP with regards to the misinformation and problems I have encountered with the recruitement staff ( I wrote this letter with advice taken from a RCAF pilot), just curious if their is anything else I can do to pleed my case. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

brit bus driver
16th Mar 2003, 22:04
For a start, the RCAF has long been an exclusive club, largely restricted to retired types these days. I suspect that you would actually like to join the Air Force, part of the Canadian Forces (CF). A little general service knowledge might help with at interview...........:ok:

bigdog1971
22nd Mar 2003, 12:46
I thank everyone that gave me advice on this subject. I have decided to shelf the idea for a while, the money and cond are just not that attractive, no better than here in Oz.
I intend to stay with the Oz Army for a little longer, see where it takes me, hoping for an overseas posting.

Once again thank you all, its great to hear the storys from the coal face, and not just belive the pretty handouts.

BigDog
---------------------------------------------------------
If it dont hover - Dont bover...:O