PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Crashes

YakYak
22nd Feb 2003, 17:12
Hi there

Me again - still researching my project on 'computers in aviation'.

Does anybody know where I can find on-line information about the Airbus crashes a few years ago that were caused by computer errors?

I obviously need a lot of help because I don't even know the name of the models of aircraft involved!

The stuff I really need to know is:

Where and when were the accidents
What caused them
Number of casualties
What modification were made to the aircraft to stop similar things happening again.

Thanks

Yakkers

Heartbreaker
22nd Feb 2003, 17:22
You dont say what sort of course you are doing. However, I think whatever it is you need to go off and do your own research instead of using this forum to do your work for you. Are you going to source PPRUnE in your references?

dmdrewitt
22nd Feb 2003, 18:21
Heartbreaker - give Yakkers a break.

He is asking where to FIND the info, not "please give it to me on a plate".

ZFT
22nd Feb 2003, 19:57
<<Does anybody know where I can find on-line information about the Airbus crashes a few years ago that were caused by computer errors? >>

Computer errors?????

Bodie
22nd Feb 2003, 20:22
Hello again YakYak

This appears to be a reoccurring problem with your posts! That’s to say you ask a reasonable question and get flamed by idiots.

I read some accident reports for a number of reasons, firstly they teach a lot about human factors in accidents hence improving my pilot skills, and secondly it's good for a wannabe like me to keep up to date with recent happenings.

I recommend you look here http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/

There is a good section on formal accident reports. Possibly too many for you to read! However, I am sure you can weed out those of relevance.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/ is also good for international accident information, statistics and unusual incidents etc

Bodie

PaperTiger
22nd Feb 2003, 21:10
http://aviation-safety.net/database/type/index.htm

Crossunder
23rd Feb 2003, 09:50
...and after doing a bit of research you'll find that the computers weren't the ones responsible, but the humans operating them...

lomapaseo
23rd Feb 2003, 12:29
There is a fundamental problem in doing research to support a hypothesis rather than reseach to examine a ditribution of causes for accidents.

The first leads to a very narrow viewpoint and an extremly small and suspect data set.

YakYak
23rd Feb 2003, 15:12
Thanks everyone - those sites are really handy.

Heartbreaker

I am a student of Arabic language (fairly topical at the moment) with a minor in Information Technology.

The module for which I need this information is entitled: "Computing Issues" and is run by the department of Computer Science at my University (note: a red brick, not an old Poly) for humanities students without a background in maths. Research using the Internet (being computer based) is ENCOURAGED and of course PPRuNe will be cited in post-presentation credits and bibliography, as will specific individuals who have helped me via private message, although those who have nothing better to do than complain at reasonable requests for assistance will be omitted.

As for doing my "own research" - the library in the department of Arabic does not - suprisingly - have much information on airline disasters, and the University does not run aeronautical engineering courses. This was my next-best option.

Go and find something better to do with your time.

Thanks again to all of you who helped me out.

Yakkers

PS: I'm a 'she'

PaperTiger
23rd Feb 2003, 15:48
Another source (although sometimes sensationalist) is the Risks Digest. Do a google search to find the mirror site nearest to you.

Here is a list of section references for Airbus:

Air France Airbus A320 crash blamed on pilot error, safety controls off (S 13 4); 3 killed. Airbus computer system development criticized (S 13 4); Subsequent doubts on computers reported: inaccurate altimeter readings; engines unexpectedly throttling up on final approach; sudden power loss prior to landing; steering problems while taxiing (S 14 2); reportage by Jim Beatson (R 08 49, 08 77), barometric pressure backset? (S 14 5) investigators blame pilot error; pilots charge recorder tampering (S 15 3) Pilots convicted for libel in blaming technical malfunctions! (S 16 3)

Indian Airlines Airbus A320 crashes 1000 ft short of runway; 97 die (S 15 2) A320 flight modes (S 15 3); apparent similarities in crashes (S 15 3) Air India unloading their A320s (S 15 5)

Air India Airbus 320 autopilot failure [19Apr1999]? (S 24 4:26, R 20 32)

French Air Inter A320 crash on approach to Strasbourg airport [20Jan1992]; 87 dead, 9 survivors; 2,000-foot altitude drop reported (R 13 05); crash site at 2496 feet. Report fingers mixture of human and technical error, airport ill equipped, serious failings in altimeter system, pilot unable to stop descent (S 17 2); Air Inter official charged with negligent homicide (S 18 2:9); Commission of Enquiry blamed Pilot Error (S 18 4:12); New case of A320 descent-rate instability identified approaching Orly, related to Air Inter crash (S 18 1:23); Final report blames crew training and interface problems (S 19 2:11)

Toulouse A330 accident blamed on experimental SW. 7 died (S 19 4:11)

FADEC computers cause uncommanded shutdowns of aircraft engines in flight; linked to power transistor (R 21 05; S 26 1:22)

Airbus A300 AA587 tail "BSD" incident, dropping 3000 feet: screens blanked for 2-3 seconds; unreliable data reset Symbol Generator Unit software changes required (R 21 96)

Misleading report on Air Transat A330 emergency landing in Azores, 24 Aug 2001, (R 21 93) addressed by Peter Ladkin; fuel leak not detected early enough, and other problems (R 21 94)

A320 flight-control computer anomalies summarized by Peter Ladkin (R 18 78)

Compendium of commercial fly-by-wire problems (Peter Ladkin) (S 21 2:22)

Anti-ice
23rd Feb 2003, 16:46
You can also try :
airdisaster.com (http://www.airdisaster.com)
for basic info , you can search by date/ailrine/type.

A basic rundown of airbus (fatal) incidents is:

August 2000:143 killed when A320 ditched on approach to Bahrain

January 2000:169 killed after A310 crashed on take-off from Ivory Coast

February 1998: 197 killed when A300 crashed in Taiwan

September 1997: 234 killed when A300 crashed in Indonesia

July 1994: Seven killed when A330 crashed in Toulouse, France, when crew were testing simulated engine failure

April 1994: 259 killed when A300 crashed in Japan.

March 1994: 75 killed when A310 crashed in Siberia

September 1992: 167 killed when A300 crashed in Kathmandu, Nepal

July 1992: 113 killed when A310 crashed in Kathmandu

January 1992: 87 killed when A320 crashed in Strasbourg

February 1990: 90 killed when A320 crashed in Bangalore

June 1988: 8 killed when A320 crashed in Habersheim.

There are of course the Air Transat/Hapag LLoyd fuel related incidents as mentioned before.

An Airbus aircraft takes off or lands every 10 seconds somewhere in the world.

scroggs
24th Feb 2003, 23:40
Anti-Ice

I get the impression that you don't like Airbus products - your last line, combined with your focus on the fatalities in accidents involving Airbus aircraft is quite revealing. Why is this? A similar superficial analysis of accidents involving Boeing, Lockheed, McDonnell-Douglas or BAe aircraft would probably show comparable fatality-per-accident rates.

Yak Yak, as far as I am aware, there are no Airbus accidents attributable to computer failure. There are, however, a number that are attributable to airlines' failure to train crew adequately in the handling of those computers.

OzExpat
25th Feb 2003, 07:18
There are, however, a number that are attributable to airlines' failure to train crew adequately in the handling of those computers.
Which makes it a "computer issue" of sorts. :D

chuchoteur
25th Feb 2003, 07:25
Anybody recall a Lufthansa Airbus Aircraft with crossed controls (roll) on the First Officers' stick?

I remember reading about it some time ago in flight international, the wingtip got within 3ft of the ground. it had just come out of maintenance, and the guy who did the checks on that position only checked for full deflection, not full deflection IN THE CORRECT SENSE.

They changed the connectors on the FBW controls after that, so you can't physically plug in the controls the wrong way round...

YakYak
25th Feb 2003, 14:52
Quite right OzExpat.

If anybody wants a copy of the Powerpoint slides when I've completed the presentation - just let me know.

OVERTALK
26th Feb 2003, 14:48
YAK YAK

Professor Dr Peter Ladkin's excellent analyses can be accessed from this page under "Publications".

http://www.rvs.uni-bielefeld.de/

Also try a Google search on Nancy Leveson. She has written many papers on the subject

Leveson Home Page at MIT
http://sunnyday.mit.edu/